Orbital buffer/waxer recommendations and warnings?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have good or bad experiences with any particular random orbital tool? I’d pretty much just use it for waxing, not really anything abrasive if that matters.

OP
OP
isis

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Braaaaptor

Starbucks Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any reason you need something that pricey? $50 is the low point from what I’ve looked at. That seems like professional grade.

It was on sale ($120 @advance auto) w/ a rebate and came with some carnuba wax and 1 pad so it made sense to me at the time. Definitely a little overkill for buffing/waxing twice a year but I don't like cheaping out on tools.

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the harbor freight DA orbital, and it's seen a lot of use. Buddy owns a detail shop and that's what he used until he got 'sponsored' by Rupes and they sent him a few of their machines which are like $300 each. The HF one works great, just use good pads (Rupes are great) and you'll be fine. I think they're like $60.

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Rupes 15 DA polisher. It is a professional grade polisher. Just recently added the Griots G8 got the pillars and tight areas. I believe if you want pro results use pro equipment and pro materials. Just added a Scangrip multimatch R swirl finder light which is great for detailing the inside of the truck as well. I mostly use Adam’s and Wolfgang products for the polishe and protectant.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have an old Porter Cable DA polisher. It still works good so no sense in replacing it yet. I also have a Dewalt rotary buffer. I use the rotary if I paint something and wet sand and buff it, or occasionally to get out a deep scratch. But the DA polisher is good for removing swirls and fine scratches.SAM_0430.JPG

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a Cyclo. Dual heads cuts the time in half and you’ve got plenty of speed adjustment and it’s a random orbital to avoid any issues marring your paint.

I’ve probably used mine 5-10 times over the years and just don’t have the time to detail my own vehicles anymore.

Could you make you a deal on it if you were interested.