Orange vs Yellow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Solidred

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty certain all the air is out….heater blows hot, coolant isn’t dropping, tried the lift front end method coolant level didn’t change.

drove freeway today small to mid hill hit 232 at 72mph, it didn’t stay long. Seem reasonable?

would the 50/50 mixture throw off heat? I’m pretty close to it, more like 60/40

2DE2EC50-DAB6-42E4-BA0F-9A39079F1CA4.png

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious as to any advice on how the cooling system is flushed and filled on these motors. Does the dealership have a special machine? Will the dealership use distilled water?

OP
OP
Solidred

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious as to any advice on how the cooling system is flushed and filled on these motors. Does the dealership have a special machine? Will the dealership use distilled water?

thats why I did it myself. I’m pretty sure I’m good now, city driving I’m seeing my normal temps and coolant hasn’t dropped at all past couple days.

but while under my truck saw my front dif is leaking at the pinion where the drive shaft meets it and now noticed the leaking oil pan…Ergh to the dealer

Can’t see a dealer point that stuff out if they did a coolant flush, just another reason I try to do my own maintenance

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT MIX. DO NOT MIX. DO NOT MIX.

I know the video says they are compatible but Ford's official word is to not mix them. Mixing them can cause considerable fallout and corrosion issues if the system is contaminated in any way shape or form, I've seen it firsthand.

If you do decide to change over to the yellow POAT coolant, be sure to do an extremely thorough flush with only distilled water until only distilled water is the in the system before draining and filling with POAT.

The newer POAT coolant is definitely a step better than the older OAT/Dexcool stuff. It's similar to Mazda's FL22 coolant which is the dark green coolant in the video, it's well regarded as one of the best coolants used by OEMs, although it too has some downsides.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats why I did it myself. I’m pretty sure I’m good now, city driving I’m seeing my normal temps and coolant hasn’t dropped at all past couple days.

but while under my truck saw my front dif is leaking at the pinion where the drive shaft meets it and now noticed the leaking oil pan…Ergh to the dealer

Can’t see a dealer point that stuff out if they did a coolant flush, just another reason I try to do my own maintenance

Any update for us, SolidRed? What temps are you seeing (city and open highway at speed)? I hadn't really considered doing this until I reach the end of the original coolant life (orange) in my '17, but maybe rethinking it if there's a significant upgrade in protection against corrosion.

Thx!

OP
OP
Solidred

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any update for us, SolidRed? What temps are you seeing (city and open highway at speed)? I hadn't really considered doing this until I reach the end of the original coolant life (orange) in my '17, but maybe rethinking it if there's a significant upgrade in protection against corrosion.

Thx!

i drove it 400 miles from so cal to Phoenix area, seemed fine, with the grades and boost kicking in saw 230 at 80-85 miles per hour. Once the boost stopped saw temps 215-223. City driving 208-215, normal what I saw prior.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bumping this as I need to flush and refill mine. So, what is the right procedure for a do it yourself in the driveway? I have no pressure filler and I am certainly not going to use hose water. Drain as much as possible from the drain valve then keep refilling with distilled until it comes out clear? Then fill with coolant? I am changing from the orange to the newer yellow/green stuff. Some say do not mix while others say it's no problem. @FordTechOne what are your thoughts here?

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
At least if you use the yellow and have a leak in a remote location and have to pee in the fill reservoir.....it will blend in. o_O

WHAT????