Orange vs Yellow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts about switching the orange coolant out for the new recommended yellow coolant. Couple schools of thought, orange works until “needs” changed and other is orange doesn’t provide corrosion protection like yellow so switch out asap. Those with 17-18’s what are you going to do?

OP
OP
Solidred

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed out…stupid coolant refill tool purchased at harbor freight didn’t work so did it manually…system only dropped a gallon from radiator and degas bottle so kept flushing with distilled until clear, did this 8 times. Refilled with concentrate yellow until 50/50 mixture…now I’m paranoid, saw temps on freeway (58 degrees outside) doing 70-80 at 226 for a second. Backs down to 210 -208 when sitting at a light. You seeing these temps?

B80056EC-B838-425B-B28C-D49BBA92245D.jpeg

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t know anything about your new coolant so can’t say if normal or not. But make sure there is no air in the system, may have to burp it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Solidred

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides getting the front end up on an incline with cap open and idle any other ideas? I’ve been driving it like I stole it with heater on (heat is hot).

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how to burp an Ecoboost. On the old Ford 4.6 you could either warm it up from cold with the cap off, or pull the heater hose off the intake manifold, because that was the high spot on the motor.

Maybe @FordTechOne can give you some advice on the correct air purge procedure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Will likely be switching my gen 1 over this summer. Will be interested in the flush procedure with distilled water vs garden hose.