GEN 2 ORA550 Package and Tune Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bvtn raptor

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who posted about this, I ordered my raptor and have been planning my build for about two months now. Finally the truck came in. I thought I knew what i wanted till I found this and talked to the guy at off road alliance this afternoon. He was able to answer all my questions and help guide me in the direction I wanted and was very patient/professional with me. (I'm a service manager at a Ford dealer and the customer service was top notch) I ordered the kit with the boost tubes and am using my nguage tuner I had already. I cant wait till it comes in. I only have 30 miles on it, so I need to do a bit of driving before the install they had recommended 500-1000 miles. I only drive about 3,000 a year so I need a road trip maybe some time at brownscamp will help.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I’ve been running this package for about 1000 miles and thought I would give a review as I haven’t really seen it discussed. For reference, I had been running a COBB stage 1 package with a Goose Tune for roughly 13,000 miles prior to the switch. My reason for the switch was I couldn’t hold out any longer for the trans tuning from COBB. Winfield puts out a hell of a product and I was trouble free for those 13,000 miles and I would recommend him for a protune hands down. But now on to the topic.

ORA550 Package: The collection of parts put into this package are spot on. The package normally comes with the COBB CAI, COBB FMIC, set of M-12405-35T Spark Plugs pregapped, and the SCT X4 with the custom Gearhead/Off-road Alliance performance and tow tunes. Since I already had the CAI the Off-road Alliance team let me swap in the AMS Boost Tubes instead. After talking with Kino, the tune is optimized for the Boost tubes which bring on peak power 1000 rpm earlier and increases the torque output. So a great swap in there. All of these parts are quality made and installed flawlessly. My only criticism is that I personally prefer the COBB Accessport over the SCT device. I like some of the accessport features and the general overall design better. That being said the SCT device is user friendly and functions well.

ORA550 Tune: First off, this tune feels very refined. Pulls hard all the way through the rev range without a hiccup. And the power is reproducible pull after pull. Really hard to believe how much heat soak I was getting with the stock intercooler on a stage 1 tune. I used to get some spikes in coolant temps and a noticeable loss of performance in the Texas heat but not anymore. Power is always there and the temps are rock steady. Truck also seems to idle better with the new plugs and tune. Power really does hit harder earlier in the rev range and I attribute that to the timing improvements and the AMS Boost Tubes. If you aren’t running the boost tubes you are missing out. Power and smoothness though are incredible and I do think my truck is running the best it ever has.

Trans Tuning: THIS TRUCK NEEDS TRANS TUNING. What a difference! So much smoother. Sport mode is a friggin blast now as I don’t feel like I’m getting kicked by a donkey every time it shifts! Baja mode is great. Even downshifts feel better. Regular mode has been vastly improved as well and is much improved around town. I’m not sure if it’s the engine tuning or the trans tuning but I’ve also had about a 1 mpg increase in economy as well and I have a very heavy foot around town. 0-60 for me went from a best of 4.8 on Goose stage 1 to 4.2 on this setup. So a huge difference there. I think I can improve this further with lighter wheels(Had no idea how heavy the OEM beadlocks were until after I already ticked that box on the order form)

Off-road: I’ve put about 40 miles on this setup in the dirt now. This was hard, Baja 4H/2H, jumps and pushing the truck farther then I ever have. I can officially say I have more motor then the stock suspension will keep up with off-road now. The tune RIPS! But again it was just so smooth in how it did it. Really hats off to the Gearhead team.

Conclusion: This is a great package at a good price that should be at the top of everyone’s consideration that’s going tuned. The off-road alliance guys are great to work with and they test all their products before selling them so they know what they are doing and really can help guide your build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any updates on how the OR@ tune is working? Any feedback on mpg's?

OP
OP
M

MacK88DO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any updates on how the OR@ tune is working? Any feedback on mpg's?

I’ve got about another 800 miles on it since I posted this. All commuting and running around town. It’s just butter smooth. I cannot stress enough how refined this tune feels. The trans is always in the right gear and very quick to downshift even in regular mode. Sport mode shifting is still vastly improved but I do occasionally get a strong 4-5 shift but nothing as jarring as stock was. Power is fantastic! MPG is still averaging about 1-1.5 mpg better then I did on my last tune but I don’t drive it to get good gas mileage! I do a lot of backroad bombing and on-ramp racing. The truck sees 90 mph or more almost daily. It’s great. Highly recommend the package and tune. I’ll be taking it out to the dirt track on the 16th again for another prerunner day to beat on it mercilessly. I’ll report back after.

OP
OP
M

MacK88DO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post an update as promised. Truck still runs flawlessly on the street and in daily driver use. Took the rig out to TexPlex here in Texas yesterday. It’s a motocross park that has built up a prerunner track for Raptors and other prerunner modified rigs. Lots of big whoops and jumps with some mud and off camber turns. The track layout this month was very fast. Had the truck up to 75 on two of the straights. Got more air under the tires then I ever have before! If you’ve never taken your truck out on something like this you’re doing yourself a disservice! These trucks were made for this! Anyway, the truck just rips! Acceleration in Baja 4H was down right scary. Transmission shift points were perfect. Truck always seemed to know exactly what gear to be in to stay in the power band and never downshifted unexpectedly. Shifts were fast and so smooth. As is the nature of Baja mode, the truck stayed in the upper RPM range for the majority of the runs. Track was approximately 8 miles and I was running between 12-14 min lap times. So 12-14 min straight of 4000-6000 RPM and zero issues with heat soak or coolant temps. Did 6 runs for the day. So 100 miles to the track, 40ish hard miles in the dirt, then 100 miles back home. No hiccups at all. Crazy thing is I averaged 15.8 mpg for the trip! It’s crazy how this truck can have such different personalities going from sedate highway cruiser to bonkers Baja runner back to highway cruiser. Hats off to the Off-road Alliance guys and the package but also to Matt Robinson and gearhead tuning! This package and tune deserves more attention then it’s gotten and the Gearhead Tuning guys deserve more love! Now it’s time to replace the factory tires and start working on some suspension upgrades...

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post an update as promised. Truck still runs flawlessly on the street and in daily driver use. Took the rig out to TexPlex here in Texas yesterday. It’s a motocross park that has built up a prerunner track for Raptors and other prerunner modified rigs. Lots of big whoops and jumps with some mud and off camber turns. The track layout this month was very fast. Had the truck up to 75 on two of the straights. Got more air under the tires then I ever have before! If you’ve never taken your truck out on something like this you’re doing yourself a disservice! These trucks were made for this! Anyway, the truck just rips! Acceleration in Baja 4H was down right scary. Transmission shift points were perfect. Truck always seemed to know exactly what gear to be in to stay in the power band and never downshifted unexpectedly. Shifts were fast and so smooth. As is the nature of Baja mode, the truck stayed in the upper RPM range for the majority of the runs. Track was approximately 8 miles and I was running between 12-14 min lap times. So 12-14 min straight of 4000-6000 RPM and zero issues with heat soak or coolant temps. Did 6 runs for the day. So 100 miles to the track, 40ish hard miles in the dirt, then 100 miles back home. No hiccups at all. Crazy thing is I averaged 15.8 mpg for the trip! It’s crazy how this truck can have such different personalities going from sedate highway cruiser to bonkers Baja runner back to highway cruiser. Hats off to the Off-road Alliance guys and the package but also to Matt Robinson and gearhead tuning! This package and tune deserves more attention then it’s gotten and the Gearhead Tuning guys deserve more love! Now it’s time to replace the factory tires and start working on some suspension upgrades...

That is awesome! Glad to hear it. We have worked very hard with GearHead to bring one great system to the Raptor community.

Jess79

Reaction score
I just got my full ORA550 package with Boost Tubes a couple weeks ago, picked it up at the RTO event out at Rausch Creek. Still working to get everything installed, unfortunately our weather has gotten cold and rainy in Maryland and I don't have a garage...sooo as soon as I get time and good weather I'm going to knock this out. I also picked up and installed the Magnaflow black tip Cat Back system, sounds amazing and you can feel the difference in HP. In addition I picked up the AMS turbo adapters and going to get those installed with all this. The flow should be amazing all the way through once I'm done. So looking forward to seeing how this tune works with all these upgrades, especially after reading everyone's reviews on here. Glad to have found this forum and the thread!

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you PM me a price? Also, I only have 91 octane where I live, will this tune work for me?

Our tune includes an auto octane sensing feature which automatically adjusts to the octane of fuel. And yes, 91 is fine.

All of our ORA550 Stage kits are on sale and include free shipping within the lower 48 through tomorrow night at midnight.

Link:

https://offroadalliance.com/search?type=product&q=ORA550+