Opinions on SAE lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I found that pretty interesting. I think I missed it. I saw BD WC squadron but not their SAE. Correct? Those Rigid pods look pretty good. I think it speaks volumes that Toyota has implemented the Rigid SAE in some of their production vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a newer truck with the LED's? Year? The reason I'm asking is because I have a '20 and I thought my lights really sucked when I got the truck home. The first night I took it out on a long, flat, straight, back road and adjusted the lights slightly higher, the left and right was fine. HUGE difference and I have never once been flashed in 2,000 miles. The way it came I felt like I was constantly trying to look farther ahead than the front cut off.

Last edited:

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the sae wide cornering bd ,I ended up getting the sports for everyday use , to go with my pros and s2s. sae not worth it to me , they r in my garage collecting dust

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my '19 Raptor is basically a pavement princess. Just being honest. I like being able to jump curbs, drive in the dirt occasionally, go to construction sites sometimes, tow my car trailer, etc. I did slide around at TexPlex (here in DFW) on one of their off-road courses once and it was a total blast.

Anyway, knowing the reality of my use profile, I reached out to 4x4truckleds.com and they recommended two Baja Design SAE lights (amber and clear) and one of the Squadron Pro (bright) lights for "off-road" use. I love this combo personally.

I now run the clear in the day as an extra DRL (daytime running light). I figure all the nut jobs in DFW, the more visibility the better. It's looks almost factory too with the stock DRL Ford light (LED headlights in a lower power mode) and then the clear LED SAE light.

At night when it's really dark out or crappy conditions, I'll flip the amber SAE light on too along with the clear SAE light. I've positioned them to be just below the headlight cut-off and angled slightly out to get more of the edges of the road, etc.

It's not a game changer as far as light output, but it does help "light fill" the relatively crappy stock LED lights. You definitely notice them when they are on and they make a definitive improvement in light output, but it's not like the Squadron Pros that light up the night when I flip those on when no other cars are around on rural roads, etc. That said, they aren't designed to be like that.

In summary, I'm happy with my two sets of Baja SAE lights that I can use basically daily around town. It's more light and more safety since it improves visibility for me and also for others that see my extra lights.

OP
OP
R

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up not picking up a pair of SAE lights. Has nothing to do with the price. I just couldn’t narrow down which one to pick. :(. God speed everyone. If something changes, I will post an update :D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk