Only drivers side seat responds to remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when I use remote start on cold mornings only the steering wheel and drivers seat heater comes on. Not the passenger seat or the rear seats. Is this normal or should they all activate with remote start?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
hmm... I’ve never checked. I do know that my ’17 annoyingly shuts off the heat or seat cooling as soon as I hit the start button after doing the remote start. I don’t think the rear peasant seats automatically warm on a remote start.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure but I think it depends on whether they were on or off when the car was shut off Prior to the next start.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So when I use remote start on cold mornings only the steering wheel and drivers seat heater comes on. Not the passenger seat or the rear seats. Is this normal or should they all activate with remote start?
it only remembers the last time when you shut it off. I know my wife likes it on. if she was in it when I shut it off. it remembers that and it'll be on the next time I remote start it. not sure about the back seats because nobody ever uses them. I know this because I end up turning it off when I get in. the next time I start it its off. until the next time its used again when I shut the truck off

come to think of it I never checked to see if the seat was actually hot but I know when I hit the start button the seat is on. I turn it off. now I have to check next time to see if it actually will warm it up with the remote start or just remembers it was on then turns it on.

great question thx a bunch. lol. now I need to know myself

Last edited:
OP
OP
7six2

7six2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During the recent cold snap I had ample opportunity to use the heated seat system. Regarding the rear seats, they will not reactivate after the next ignition power cycle…remote start or not. The front passenger seat however will reactivate after a key cycle BUT if started with remote start it doesn’t seem to begin heating the seat until after the driver pushes the brake pedal and engages normal accessory operation. I do wish that all of the seats could be set to warm with remote start. I wonder if there is a Forscan setting?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It’s important to note that the climate controlled seat strategy changed circa the 2018 model year across various Ford products. For example, as @smurfslayer mentioned, 2017 and prior models will shut off the climate controlled seats after a remote start event or ignition cycle. Mid way through 2018 that changed across the lineup to retain the previous setting after remote start or an ignition cycle.

Also note that the heated seats may not feel warm after remote starting because there is very little heat transfer from the heater mat to the cushion, which is exposed to open air. Once a person sits in the seat, heat is transferred from the seat to their body.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure my 2018 has menu options for “off”, retain the last settings, or Auto based on temp. I just set it to the auto temp-based, so it turns on cooling or heating.

It will also activate heat/cool passenger seat if it was occupied and on at shutdown.