One Year Today with 2018 SCREW...Thoughts (bad and good)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Car and Driver did a test of 87 vs 93 that included the raptor engine:
- 0-60 dropped from 5.3 to 5.9
- At 75 mph fuel economy was better on 93 octane: 17.6 mpg compared to 17 mpg on 87 octane.

Now you might say 0.6 mpg is not worth the premium, but if you are getting 13 MPG you have a serious lead foot especially for the highway.

The only point to running 87 is to save money. Ironically, switching to 91 or 93 will make the truck noticeably faster to the point that you will use the gas less, perhaps upping your MPG to absorb most of the extra cost anyway.

https://www.caranddriver.com/review...onda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great post. I agree with most points. I do quite like the autostart/stop and have seen worthwhile fuel savings with it. Even if you don't like it, you can appreciate the beefed up starting components you get because of it.

You mentioned: "It is scary in rain without going into Weather mode. Maybe it is the tires, maybe it is the torque, but in anything more than light rain, the back end is all over the road without being in 4WD"

It is definitely (mostly) the tires. KO2s are so horrendous on wet pavement even my wife noticed and commented such. That said, a light bed and high torque also contribute to the problem.

Having a physical home button would be really nice. My only big complaint with the truck is how fragile the interior is. Brush against the plastic and it scuffs off the dye, turning it white, and my push button start is cracked like a few others. Never been in a vehicle where the interior wore so easily and quickly. :/

But once you are flying in baja mode, all the bad stuff fades away pretty quickly.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny how experience varies. I’ve had no issues with the ko2 tires in rain. I rarely feel the need for 4A.

Good write up btw.

What do you mean about the side mirrors? Mine are trouble free.

As for auto stop start, hate it. Bought something that goes behind it that permanently cancels it. You can also do that via Forscan.

I use only premium and turbo lag is no worse than any other turbo vehicle I own.