One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimster58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Averaging 13mpg recently...was getting regular averages of 14.5-15.2mpg since I bought it. Recently got new tires (Old ones were seriously worn down, but apparently enough to pass MA inspection criteria), replaced the canister purge valve, in quick succession - so don't know if its a cumulative effect. Could be much worse, not that it really matters!

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just got back from another rat hunt in ID, a year later, 51,800 still sitting on 15.1. Only one tow of 80 miles the past year.

Couldn't get any good runs in. ****** weather, rain very muddy/slick roads. Not the place to head into the pucker brush when you're the only one out there. Had to stick near the highway and on better roads.

Did get off 1200 or so .22 shells at the sage rats.

TheAvo

Reaction score
In the early 1990s I had a 1976 Chevy half ton with a 350 engine, holley 4 barrel carburetor and headers. I wondered about gas mileage, my uncle said, you dont buy a truck for the gas mileage.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@TheAvo has it right, or at least his uncle did nearly 30 years ago. Trucks have big engines designed for power and not for economy. Trucks are heavy - they have to have stout frames and suspensions to tow and haul, and must have larger and heavier engines to match. Trucks are inherently non-aerodynamic. The combination of these factors guarantees inferior fuel economy. That's the trade-off. For capability you trade economy.

That's for the typical truck - any truck. But this is a forum that exclusively pertains to one specific truck - a full-sized truck with very powerful engines that is specifically designed and equipped for high speed off-road use. More trade-offs obtain, of course - even more capability for even less fuel economy.

If you've read this far you're probably saying, "Yeah, that's obvious." And I'd agree with you except that this thread is 8 years old, is 164 pages long, and is one of the most highly visited threads in this forum. Quite evidently it's not obvious at all to a great many Raptor owners.

Last edited:

Stricken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 2014 SCrew in Santa Fe and drove it home to Chandler, Az. Not wanting to draw attention to my lack of real plates, I kept cruise set under 70mph the whole way. Google says 473 miles door to door (didn't think to reset the trip meter), and I used 25.5 gallons. That's 18.5 mpg! I still had over 1/4 tank left when I pulled into my driveway. The economy gauge was right on, too. Have to say this was a pleasant surprise with the new truck!

IMG_20180929_020656557.jpg

Reaction score
It will be done eventually by somebody if it hasnt already, just getting it done and outta the way. Whats your mileage? Mines an average of 12.4 with a broken in 5.4 liter :birgits_tiredcoffee
Still driving my 2010 6.2. Just turned 44,000 miles. The best I have ever had gas mileage wise is like 10.5. And if I remember that day correctly, I was going down hill with the wind at my back.
Really can't see how you people get such good mileage.

D

Deleted member 12951

Still driving my 2010 6.2. Just turned 44,000 miles. The best I have ever had gas mileage wise is like 10.5. And if I remember that day correctly, I was going down hill with the wind at my back.
Really can't see how you people get such good mileage.

My average for over 30k miles has been 9.9 mpg. No issues.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To make all you Gen 1 guys feel better about your mileage I figured I would share the fact that I am getting 12.1 on my 18’