Onboard air compressors lets see them

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
looks like it just had enough air in the line to run a second but then ran out of pressure..a tank would help that though but you'd still be on a bomb..lol
LOL for sure. What we're seeing in the vid there is a volume issue, not a pressure issue.

Which is why I think maybe the ExtremeAire might work without a tank. Its pushing plenty of pressure, just like the Viair is. But the EA pumps 3x the volume at 100psi.

keatonskidmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL for sure. What we're seeing in the vid there is a volume issue, not a pressure issue.

Which is why I think maybe the ExtremeAire might work without a tank. Its pushing plenty of pressure, just like the Viair is. But the EA pumps 3x the volume at 100psi.

You mentioned something about the amps it pulls? How would you wire it? What do you have your current one wired to?

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I currently have my Viair wired into the truck's upfitter switch and relay system. The max draw allowed there is 30amp though (plenty for the 450C's peak draw of 19amp), so obviously that's a no go with the EA. Assuming the EA comes with all the right wires relays and fuses, I would connect that harness directly to the battery. And I would make sure not to use it unless the engine is running.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
how about if you have 300feet of hose that wouldn't explode. I've seen some use semi hose it's strong could run a few lines to the back of the truck? if it is able to be strapped to the frame some how.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extreme Air

I have had the Extreme Air for several years. It's been a tough compressor being able to run 100% duty cycle. It will pump to what ever shut off selonoid you put on it. You must use heavy wiring also. Here's what I did for my raptor.

I installed it in an Ammo Can I had.
DSCF2533.jpg

This is the way I installed the compressor in the ammo can. You do have to grind the compressor mount down about a half inch to fit completely in the can. It fits nice and snug but also will come out if you want to. The beauty of this also is to be able to move the compressor if you want to another vehicle or ?? with the proper electric hook up. You can see the quick connect electical connector that I used on the right side of box. It is a trolling motor connector. I wanted to use 8 gauge wire up to the front for the battery hook up.
DSCF2719.jpg

You can see how nice the compressor fits and there is enough room to store my 25 foot hose. When you are using the compressor you have to have the lid open to hook up the wire and run the hose to your tires. It gets plenty of air this way.
DSCF2721.jpg

I grounded the 8 gauge ground wire to the bed underneath and ran the 8 gauge power wire up to the front along the frame rail. to a selonoid switch. I ran an 8 gauge power wire to a 100 amp circuit breaker. The circuit breaker is powered by an 8 gauge wire from the Battery. The upfitter wire for #3 is connected to the selonoid switch so there is no over burden on the switch amperage.
DSCF2722.jpg
DSCF2723.jpg

That completes the installation.
I have a 2 gal Viar Tank that I will install but have not decided where yet. The tank is exactly the same length of the ammo box and no wider. I was thinking of mounting it on the lid so as it is opened I can hook up to it and use some air tools. NOT an impact wrench but blow gun, air ratchet etc. I use a battery operated impact if I need to although a good old fashioned lug wrench works very well and there is never a concern if it's going to work or not.

I saw someone ask if the engine needed to be running. Absolutly if you want you battery to be there after airing up 4 big tires. There's alot of electric draw from this compressor. I can blow each of my KM2 BFG KM2's muds up from 25 to 45 in less than 5 minutes usually and it is nice not haveing to worry about the compressor heating up.

Mil T

[