Onboard Air Compressor Install (pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surfnsocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent the last weekend installing an onboard ARB Air Compressor. Primary use is for camping (air matress) and airing back up after some offroad fun.

I mounted it under vehicle (passenger side between the frame and outer body, adjacent to the muffler) in a place that was the least dirty (practically spotless) after my last trip. Rationale was this spot would be the most protected. I may add a plate or guard later on down the road.

I ran an airhose along the top of the frame (secured by heavy duty zip ties until I find a better solution). I added a 4" steel nipple with a brass quick connect to the back and had it welded in place ($20 at my local muffler shop). Added a dust cap for good measure.

Ran the wire harness (included) to uplifter switch 6. Pressure switch is included with the kit.

I aired down to 20psi and it took just shy of 2 minutes to get to 40psi per tire (I run 38-40 on the street). I decided to not add a tank since I wont be running power tools, air horn, etc. Honestly, I'm not even sure where you could put an air tank under the body.

ARB CKMA12
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009F49NP0/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Dust Cap
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DE8V4G4/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Airhose and connections were purchased at my local Lowe's.

iCt6K9Q.jpg

66iszuS.jpg

I mounted to the frame with 5" carriage bolts, with a vibration dampening pad on each side (between the compressor/frame and the back mounting plate/frame).
bMRRPUu.jpg

cW7FjDP.jpg

I spray painted the steel nipple black later
0AktqF4.jpg

sXuXc0M.jpg

LBnBQPj.jpg

Last edited:

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Would that work on a GEN 1?

The kit is designed specifically for the Gen 2 truck.

However, with some tweaks, you could make it work.

Two main things:
1. We would have to measure for clearance of the under-hood control unit to make sure there is space.

2. We'd have to find a method of installing the air compressor. The Gen 2 uses the bed tie down cleat to mount the ARB unit and the Gen 1 trucks do not have that mount so we would have to find another solution.

Other than that, the dimensions of the trucks are pretty similar so the hoses and other accessories should work if we're able to find similar mounting spots between Gen 1 and Gen 2.