GEN 2 Onboard air compressor in Engine Bay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Talbor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m looking at installing the ARB twin compressor and Air It Up setup into my Gen 2 and was wondering if anyone has installed it in their engine compartment.

6bab7ed3e494c1b90f1131fedf820b63.jpg

I’ve seen installations in the bed, under the truck, and in the cab, but none in the engine compartment. A bed installation is out - I have the (amazing) @BuiltRight bed rack system and use my bed to much to crowd it some more. Also, I’ll have my boys with me when off-roading, in 5-point harnesses (read:car seats) and don’t want all that noise in the cab. A frame installation isn’t out of the question, but I’d prefer to keep it up higher and more protected, like in the engine bay.

Any thoughts or previous experience? Also, any opinions of the ARB and Air It Up kit would be much appreciated!

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The twin doesn’t fit in the engine bay. There is not enough room anywhere.

If you get a single it fits under the aribox mounted to the frame rail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use that in both of my Jeeps and intend on installing it on my 2019 Raptor. I can't comment on the room under the hood, but heat is the enemy of air compressors. I know some Jeep owners have mounted them under the hood, but sometimes they get so hot they shut down.

I have it mounted under the passenger seat (there is a thread on here about a bracket already made up) and the noise is not horrible. Of course, the noise is only when you are airing up, which with 35's should take about 2-3 minutes each tire, depending on the altitude you are at.

I plan to mount it under the passenger seat on my Raptor.

wipit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is installed in my tailgate... perfect fit, and using an uplifter switch

wipit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have anymore pics and how is it secured? Which amp size uplift switch did you use?

If you open the tailgate you will see the area and room available, no more picture. I used the 2nd uplifter switch from the right. But i stkll installed a relay in between

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you open the tailgate you will see the area and room available, no more picture. I used the 2nd uplifter switch from the right. But i stkll installed a relay in between

What is the name and model number of your compressor? How do you attach your air hose to it without removing the tailgate cover?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
that compressor is going to get HOT in that tiny little space. remember, they are air cooled.

There are plenty of other places to mount a compressor that would provide far more air flow.

I'd also be worried about filling 4 tires from 20 psi to 35 psi, especially when considering 37s or 39s.

I use a simple 100% duty cycle viair portable. I haven't had any issues. it just doesn't push enough CFM to reseat a bead.