GEN 2 On / Off Parking Mode on a very sloping ramp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@FordTechOne nailed it first. You will be fine one or two times, but definitely get the parking brake adjusted. I’m sure you don’t want to have this issue long term!

Good luck.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It some times takes a few inches of travel before the parking brake "bites" or perhaps, it's not pressed down far enough for it to stop the vehicle on its own. Anytime I'm on a steep incline/decline. I depress the parking brake, move the shifter to neutral, ease off the brake until the truck comes to a stop and then put it in Park. If the parking brake is unable to keep the vehicle from moving forward (or backward) even when depressed all the way, it needs to be adjusted.

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
stop on the incline, engage the parking brake but do not move the shift lever. Gently let off the main brake pedal and allow the truck slightly ‘drift’ forward or backward until the parking brake engages and stops movement, then shift into park.
Was just teaching my kid how and why how to do this. She is 15. Seems most people don't understand why it's needed. I just do the drift in neutral.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was just teaching my kid how and why how to do this. She is 15. Seems most people don't understand why it's needed. I just do the drift in neutral.

Neutral is the way to go. No need to force the parking brake to overcome gravity and the engine torque at idle. You’ll just end up needing to press the brake further than necessary, prematurely stretching out the cable which will require more frequent adjustments.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that when the car is on a very inclined plane, the parking brake pressed to the maximum fails to lock the wheels, it has a tendency to continuous movement ... but I also noticed a phenomenon, sometimes, after depressing the foot brake pedal, the car moves a little then it suddenly crashes, I don't have a technical explanation ... unfortunately this blockage doesn't always manifest itself, probably that's how it should work every time. However, I think the brake is quite well adjusted, because I press that pedal very hard ...

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neutral is the way to go. No need to force the parking brake to overcome gravity and the engine torque at idle. You’ll just end up needing to press the brake further than necessary, prematurely stretching out the cable which will require more frequent adjustments.
Your conclusion seems interesting, but please explain in more detail what you want to suggest?

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your conclusion seems interesting, but please explain in more detail what you want to suggest?
Been suggested several times already.

-Stop the vehicle
-Engage parking brake
-Move shifter to neutral
-Ease off the brake pedal and allow the parking brake to stop the vehicle on its own
-Put shifter in park

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My driveway is at an incline. I pull up, stop, put in park and while still holding the brake, set the e-brake

when leaving, I start, still holding brake shift to reverse then release e-brake.

I prefer to use the brake and if brake fails, the parking pawl will catch.