GEN 2 On / Off Parking Mode on a very sloping ramp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I encountered a problem with positioning the lever in the parking lot in a very sloping area. I don't know if this should be the case or it only happens to my car due to a technical problem. So, the car is stopped on a very inclined area (15 degrees, for example), the car being axially with a slope, press the auxiliary parking pedal to the maximum and then put the lever in the parking mode, everything is very easy. So far, so good. When I want to unlock the lever and switch it to R, N or D, it unlocks extremely hard ... when unlocked there is a very loud noise in the gearbox area ... is this symptom normal? The release force and the noise produced are directly proportional to the degree of inclination of the car. Horizontally, everything is fine.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I encountered a problem with positioning the lever in the parking lot in a very sloping area. I don't know if this should be the case or it only happens to my car due to a technical problem. So, the car is stopped on a very inclined area (15 degrees, for example), the car being axially with a slope, press the auxiliary parking pedal to the maximum and then put the lever in the parking mode, everything is very easy. So far, so good. When I want to unlock the lever and switch it to R, N or D, it unlocks extremely hard ... when unlocked there is a very loud noise in the gearbox area ... is this symptom normal? The release force and the noise produced are directly proportional to the degree of inclination of the car. Horizontally, everything is fine.
That is normal due to the amount of load being applied to the parking pawl. As you mention, it will be proportional to the incline %.

The parking brake should have the ability to hold the truck on the incline without relying on the parking pawl, you may need to have the parking brake shoes adjusted.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
stop on the incline, engage the parking brake but do not move the shift lever. Gently let off the main brake pedal and allow the truck slightly ‘drift’ forward or backward until the parking brake engages and stops movement, then shift into park.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I understand that the foot brake must have the ability to completely lock the car even if the degree of inclination is very high?

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stop on the incline, engage the parking brake but do not move the shift lever. Gently let off the main brake pedal and allow the truck slightly ‘drift’ forward or backward until the parking brake engages and stops movement, then shift into park.
I followed these steps, it doesn't stop completely, the car continues to move slowly downhill ... it may be necessary to adjust the parking brake shoes, this is probably the cause of the problem.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is normal due to the amount of load being applied to the parking pawl. As you mention, it will be proportional to the incline %.

The parking brake should have the ability to hold the truck on the incline without relying on the parking pawl, you may need to have the parking brake shoes adjusted.
I want to confirm if the foot brake must be able to lock the car even at very high degrees of inclination (15-20 degrees) without the help of the lever in P mode. Thanks.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Yes, it sounds like the parking brake needs adjustment. The parking brake will hold the truck even in neutral on a steep incline.
Don’t leave your truck in neutral with only the parking brake on, but you get the point.

OP
OP
ViMo

ViMo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oldfart /Smurfslayer, thank you !!! Now you have convinced me that the parking brake (with the foot pedal) requires adjustment or intervention on the rear wheel shoes. I hope I didn't damage the gearbox locking mechanism. I'm glad I asked, otherwise I would have destroyed the locking device.