Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

on board air compressor

Discussion in 'Ford SVT Raptor General Discussions [GEN 1]' started by rap67, Sep 5, 2014.

1. rap67

rap67 Full Access Member

no issues at all. its not even loose. and the rain hasn't been an issue either.

2. JnJraptor

JnJraptor Full Access Member

I am looking at this same set up. I want to wire to the standard upfitter switches in the truck. Did the compressor come with a relay that allowed you to do that, or did you purchase something else? I was thinking of wiring switch to the warn power interrupt kit if it didn't come with the right stuff.

3. Rookie

Rookie Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Marc hasn't been around in a while. The hornblasters kits come with everything you would need. They're designed so that you hard wire the pump and then your pressure switch is ran to a switched power source. IIRC Marc had his ran so that his primary power lead to the pump was switched so that he could prevent any battery drain or accidental running. This would've required another relay capable of handling the compressors load.

JnJraptor likes this.
  4. BeEatNU

BeEatNU Member

sorry to bump this but OP that looks good as hell

5. Skyfrog

Skyfrog Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

This is a good thread to bump. Very useful mod information.

I just got my ARB twin compressor and Viair tank. I plan on mounting the tank above the spare and the compressor on the front bed wall. I just need to find a good threadsert. Most seem to be limited to aluminum, so I assume I need a different one for steel.

Unfortunately, I can't do the install myself due to back issues. I'd like to find a good shop in the Tampa, FL area to do the install, or wait until after back surgery.

6. Otis857

Otis857 Full Access Member

It is a nice set up in that location. Personally, I dont like nutserts. I've used them for years in my work and the ones good enough to hold much weight or not work loose require a good nutsert tool to install. I mounted a Hi Lift jack & shovel in that location with bolts and the nuts between the inner & outer panel. It took 2 people with a wrench clamped to a long enough bar to reach up between the panels that high, but I dont have to worry about it. food for thought.

dataustin likes this.
  7. roboman

roboman Member

Hello,
    I wired up a twin ARB air compressor to my toolbox in the bed of the truck. At first, I ran a 4 gage wire back to the toolbox (without a fuse by the battery) and thinking about it over and over...decided to put a 40 amp breaker at the battery....glad I did. I attached the diagram of what I did, but the circuit keeps tripping. I am no electrician, but I figured if the ARB has two 20 AMP fuses, then I should have at least 40 amps. I also read in another post to use Aux4 (Brown wire) to switch on and off....that works, but I am not sure why my circuit keeps tripping. Also, do I need a relay? I wouldn't think so since the switches are connected to a relay. I also wonder if I really need to ground the switch wire from the ARB since the uplifter is already grounded. Any help on this would be appreciated. I included a diagram of my mess.

arb_wired.JPG

8. jzweedyk

jzweedyk FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Each of the fuses in the twin compressor model are 40 amps. So max draw would be 80 amps. Your breaker is too small.

9. The Car Stereo Company

The Car Stereo Company aka nosbusa Supporting Vendor

also circuit breakers dont work well in the engine bay especially when close to max current flow. circuit breakers work by heat and the heat the engine produces will cause the breaker to open prematurely (insert mom joke or thats what she said joke here)