on board air compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Marc, thanks for the response. I like how your setup looks. Also, I've never screwed anything to the bed....what type of screws did you use and at what length do I really mess things up?

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marc, thanks for the response. I like how your setup looks. Also, I've never screwed anything to the bed....what type of screws did you use and at what length do I really mess things up?

Thank you!

I'll go back to it and use 90s on the tank so that i can get the hose up under the bed rail sooner so I don't see it as much but thats me being **** about the install. it works very well for my needs.

we used a product called a rivet sert but they come under many names: nutsert, threadsert to name two. You need a special tool to install it but the whole set up is not too expensive i think--$95 at grainger.

I used 1/4" inserts which were about 1/2" long. drill a 1/4 hole in the bed side, use the tool and insert the threadsert, it mushrooms on the back and pinches the bedside wall. it basically a specialized hollow wall anchor.

for bolts I used 10/24 1" head head bolts.

happy to share more if you need/want..

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't you buy another one? from where?
I bought two compressors (two trucks). And used both connectors on my raptor. The install on my other truck won't need that type of connection. (I'm just coming off the compressor with a hose with a quick disconnect on the other end) Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited:

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Marc, I working on adding some storage behind the back seat. Do you think that same rivet would work on the back wall of the cabin?

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marc, I working on adding some storage behind the back seat. Do you think that same rivet would work on the back wall of the cabin?

I didn't do the rivet install but was there when it was done and I've seen the tool and parts and if you have enough room behind the internal wall and whatever is behind it (deep enough cavity) it will work. I don't know enough about the depth of the cavity in the back cabin wall so I can't answer that for you.

They obviously work in single surfaces and the back wall may be a single surface but you would have to seal it for this location.

Sorry.

M

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks, my thoughts exactly. The question is, what is the depth between the inner and exterior walls, because that is the only way I would consider using that technique.

OP
OP
rap67

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, my thoughts exactly. The question is, what is the depth between the inner and exterior walls, because that is the only way I would consider using that technique.
Agreed and too long a hole in the back of the truck is not something I'd want to live with. I've some installs where the compressor is mounted to the floor under the seat. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Last edited: