On "Auto", HVAC never sends air thru the dash vents.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gr8scott_o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I have my HVAC on Auto, I don't know if I have ever noticed air coming from the dash vents, whether heating or A/C. Today, being the first real cold snap we have had, I was waiting for the heat to come out the dash, and it never did. Came out the floor and the defrost, but never the dash.

I can manually set the dash vents to blow both hot and cold using the climate controls, but auto just refuses to blow air out the dash vents.

I typically notice this during extreme temps, and it's not a huge big deal because I can pull up climate controls and adjust on my own, but I shouldn't really have to, right?

Is this just the way it is, or is there an issue I should be looking for?

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I have my HVAC on Auto, I don't know if I have ever noticed air coming from the dash vents, whether heating or A/C. Today, being the first real cold snap we have had, I was waiting for the heat to come out the dash, and it never did. Came out the floor and the defrost, but never the dash.

I can manually set the dash vents to blow both hot and cold using the climate controls, but auto just refuses to blow air out the dash vents.

I typically notice this during extreme temps, and it's not a huge big deal because I can pull up climate controls and adjust on my own, but I shouldn't really have to, right?

Is this just the way it is, or is there an issue I should be looking for?
mine blows when it is cooling down when its super hot in the truck after it gets to temp it slows way down. I believe when its calling for heat it only comes from the defrosters and floor. when it needs cooling and the AC then it comes from dash. Even on my GEN 2 was the same. I believe thats just the default. makes no sense to me id like it to come out everywhere all the time on auto. and just maintain the temp. seems to be a no brainer but I guess most people don't like it blowing on their faces. otherwise it might be set up like that.

Does it come from the dash when and if you put the air on LO. if not then it probably isn't right.

OP
OP
gr8scott_o

gr8scott_o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine blows when it is cooling down when its super hot in the truck after it gets to temp it slows way down. I believe when its calling for heat it only comes from the defrosters and floor. when it needs cooling and the AC then it comes from dash. Even on my GEN 2 was the same. I believe thats just the default. makes no sense to me id like it to come out everywhere all the time on auto. and just maintain the temp. seems to be a no brainer but I guess most people don't like it blowing on their faces. otherwise it might be set up like that.

Does it come from the dash when and if you put the air on LO. if not then it probably isn't right.
I'll have to check, I don't know that I've ever gone full LO.