Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fftfk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super excited about this. Going to do an infrared radar for the front of the truck. Just ordered all the bits!

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT485/flir-pathfindir-ii-object-detection-system.html

This is the animal and pedestrian detection system

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT930/cod-f43.html

Factory Nav screen integration (add’s an aux video input, as well as lets you use the cameras at any speed)

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT588/flir-xw.html

FLIR XW - Interface that alerts you (beeps) and switches the factory nav screen to the FLIR view

This mod really gets me in the gizmo and gadget section, but there have been many times on the way to events driving late at night in the boonies that we have had some close calls, hope this helps with that!

Will try and get this one installed along with all the stuff in th

Really interested to see how this turns out.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
if you do a pillar IR, you can always mount inboard and outboard S1’s on the bracket - separate circuit of course.

I’d love to get a look at the B/D IR solution through NV :)

Actually, the NavTV solution isn’t badly priced compared to current gen NVG.

OP
OP
Olsen Motorsports

Olsen Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless NavTV has a specific NVG camera, this FLIR will not care how many IR lights are turned on as it's looking at the heat in the environment.

I agree for the heat aspect, but what about the IR view of everything else? If there were IR lights would that help with the rest of the objects on forest trails etc?

Idaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here it is from NavTV's site on that link that is posted

"Headlights usually only let you see about 450’ straight ahead, but PathFindIR II sees heat not light, so you can see everything in front of you up to four times farther down the road. Now you can see clearly, night and day, in good weather and bad, without being blinded by the glare of oncoming headlights."

Actual night vision that you see the IR lights under will also be affected by visible light. Under NVG's, visible lights, colored or white, are indistinguishable from IR lights. With this camera, if it could see visible light with heat, I do not believe they would have that last sentence about not being blinded by oncoming lights. Perhaps I am incorrect though.

Here is some more info from Flir's website. They show pictures of "color" thermal, but in most of these driving applications they are black and white with black-hot or white-hot settings.

OP
OP
Olsen Motorsports

Olsen Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here it is from NavTV's site on that link that is posted

"Headlights usually only let you see about 450’ straight ahead, but PathFindIR II sees heat not light, so you can see everything in front of you up to four times farther down the road. Now you can see clearly, night and day, in good weather and bad, without being blinded by the glare of oncoming headlights."

Actual night vision that you see the IR lights under will also be affected by visible light. Under NVG's, visible lights, colored or white, are indistinguishable from IR lights. With this camera, if it could see visible light with heat, I do not believe they would have that last sentence about not being blinded by oncoming lights. Perhaps I am incorrect though.

Here is some more info from Flir's website. They show pictures of "color" thermal, but in most of these driving applications they are black and white with black-hot or white-hot settings.

This is all way above my pay grade lol. The camera stuff is shipping Tuesday so I emailed the guy at NavTV asking if IR lights would help! Let you guys know what he says.
It would be so cool to have them, just saying. I’m such a sucker for cool stuff

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your thread inspired me to dig up my no name cubes I had laying around from my old truck and get them cleaned up. I just got them tore down tonight and am going to media blast the housings this week before I get them powdercoated.

There's two things I'm unsure of that I figured you might be familiar with.

1. There's some paste on the back of the LED boards where they rest on the heat sink/housing. I'm assuming this is to help promote heat transfer from the board to the housing? Do you know where I can get this stuff and what a good brand is?

2. My wiring harnesses were epoxied into the housings to give the back a total weather proof seal. Unfortunately this doesn't make tearing them down easy and now I have to figure out what sort of epoxy to use when I reassemble them. Do you have any idea what is commonly used for this?

Sorry if these are some obvious questions, I've never really ventured into LED light construction so I'm not familiar with some aspects.

OP
OP
Olsen Motorsports

Olsen Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your thread inspired me to dig up my no name cubes I had laying around from my old truck and get them cleaned up. I just got them tore down tonight and am going to media blast the housings this week before I get them powdercoated.

There's two things I'm unsure of that I figured you might be familiar with.

1. There's some paste on the back of the LED boards where they rest on the heat sink/housing. I'm assuming this is to help promote heat transfer from the board to the housing? Do you know where I can get this stuff and what a good brand is?

2. My wiring harnesses were epoxied into the housings to give the back a total weather proof seal. Unfortunately this doesn't make tearing them down easy and now I have to figure out what sort of epoxy to use when I reassemble them. Do you have any idea what is commonly used for this?

Sorry if these are some obvious questions, I've never really ventured into LED light construction so I'm not familiar with some aspects.
You can use any thermal paste as long as it’s high silver content. That helps transfer heat to the heat sinks. Or you can use a circuit board pad to accomplish the same thing.
For sealing the boot use -125. Here is an example of using that to seal a duestch connector we did on the raptor where the boot doesn’t fit the larger wires!
80F49DD3-FA70-4616-A0CF-6ADEC7A92323.jpeg
9DF81FDC-7543-49CD-8E38-53F99764795E.jpeg