Old Man Stereo Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
definitely not a problem, but i think the opening for the jack would have to be cut out. that is a permanent modification to the truck

Troutbum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow really clean. Great job.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Wait you have the 9500ci and the MAX? How does that work? Also where did you put your control panel for the detector?

OP
OP
B

BogeyBoy82

Reaction score
The sub box has the jack removed. It wasn't cut out. Im gonna throw it behind the seat on the drivers side.

I didn't run a 6 channel amp on the front stage b/c 1. JL doesnt make a 6 channel in their HD line and I wanted to keep things as small and simple as possible. Those amps are the definition of small and simple. The first 600/4 breaks down like this. 1 Channel Front midrange & tweet, 1 Channel Midbass then the same for the other side of the stage. I'm using the crossovers that came with the speakers b/c running a passive setup to me simplifies the tuning process and the Focals have a nice x-over. The other 600/4 has one channel on rear door, one channel on left door and 2 other channels for the subs. Not sure if he bridged those channels, don't really need to with the RIPS system in JL amps.

The tweets are still up in the factory location in the a-pillars. What you are seeing by the door handle is a 3 inch midrange driver. The sheetmetal behind these was cut out. That is the only "permanent" modificaiton to the truck but honestly if I ever wanted to go back to stock I'd pop in the factory piece of the door panel, put some deadener over the hole and it would be as good as new.

The 9500ci new system comes with the Laser Max. From the rep I've spoken with it is light years better than the old shifter system and it's upgradeable / updatedable when new technology is released. I mounted the display right by the speedo on the right hand side. Fits like it came there. I mounted the control piece right under my console lid on the console piece leading up to the lid. It's well hidden and I can mute/control things without having to move my hand while driving (rest arm on console). The bass knob sits right next to it as well.

The JBL MS-8 is an incredible piece. Coming from someone who used to spend days tuning a stereo before a compeition and now not having the time to jack with it the MS-8's auto tuning ability genuinely makes it sound incredible in minutes. From there you tweak a little bit for your personal listening preference but honestly I'd recommend this processor over any other thing on the market. Can't beat the price either.

jazz05

Reaction score
Love your mid range mount, that is a great idea, I was strugglinng for a location , thats a great soution, I was looking abit higher in the mirror mount area but think I like yours better

Budget1

Reaction score
Second that. Very nice setup. Any pictures of the sub prior to installation? How would you compare the dual 6" setup to a single 10"?

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Rocky does good work. He worked on my last truck. Install looks very clean.

And yes, ****** realized that their ZR4 shifters were garbage and the new Laser Max system is a re-branded Laser Interceptor setup. Laser Interceptor is THE benchmark for LIDAR countermeasures. Would you mind posting pictures of where you mounted your heads and controls?

Also, always remember to kill the jammers after you've slowed down to the speed limit. You don't want the LEO to realize you have the jammers installed and slap you with a ticket.