OK to always leave in 4A?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does the Torsen diff only come with the 802A package? I have it on mine and it is listed under the 802A grouping on the window sticker, but I was wondering if it can be ordered by itself.

I was using 4A today in the rain and my steering definitely felt heavier with lots of torque steer when accelerating hard. Of course, my 37s add to the heavy feel even in 2H.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does the Torsen diff only come with the 802A package? I have it on mine and it is listed under the 802A grouping on the window sticker, but I was wondering if it can be ordered by itself.

I was using 4A today in the rain and my steering definitely felt heavier with lots of torque steer when accelerating hard. Of course, my 37s add to the heavy feel even in 2H.

It is part of 802A and can also be ordered as a stand-alone option if you do not have 802A

tmanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you can drive in 4A 100% of the time, why in the hell would you want to?

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if you can drive in 4A 100% of the time, why in the hell would you want to?

Valid question for sure. Personally I live in a pretty rural area, but almost all roads are paved admirably, but that is not the case everywhere. If I lived in a more outlying area that had lots of dirt roads and pipeline trails (say East Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, western New York State, etc. to play in, I would likely leave mine in 4A most of the time. Only on road trips would it need to be set in 2H...

TRUEFF

Reaction score
We’ve had a ton of rain here lately and I have played with the “slippery” mode in the heavy rain while driving..kicks in 4A.
Is there a known speed limit suggested while in 4A?

tmanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a ford performance engineer. My opinion is that top speed is achievable and acceptable in 4A or 4H. 4L top speed is limited by max rpm. I'm sure many of the raptor runs see speeds well over 100 mph in 4A or 4H.

stretch

Reaction score
Well, I took the Raptor in to the dealer for recall and tranny TSB. I was called by my service advisor to let me know the truck was ready, but she also said the mechanic noticed I had it in 4A and she stated it should always be in 2WD, otherwise it would cause excess stress on the tranny. I personally like to keep it in 4A for extra traction, esp when it rains. I thought I read in the manual that 4H and 4L should never be driven on flat pavement, but 4A was ok.

Anyone else have any input? I’m thinking my service people are wrong.
I live in Quebec , Canada where winter is for REAL! I leave mine on 4A all winter and love it! It's my 3 rd Raptor and I have never had any issues.