OK to always leave in 4A?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, but I am at dealers all day long, listening to stupid shit people do to their cars, and wanting Ford to pay for it.

I don’t see where I said anything about operation in any drive mode. All I said was don’t be calling some people idiots then rely on them to fix your mistakes.

I wonder why you are taking this so personally?

wjn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the 2019 FORD F-150 RAPTOR Supplement:

4A (4X4 AUTO)
Provides electronic controlled four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction. The system continuously monitors road conditions, driver's input as well as other vehicle sensors and optimizes the system's behavior based on terrain mode selection.

Note: 4A may engage or disengage automatically based on terrain mode selection. See Principle of Operation
(page 27).​

And:

Note: The AdvanceTrac system has the ability to take over control of the transfer case clutch in 4A mode and disable it during driving maneuvers when necessary.​

Looks to me you cannot do anything wrong with the Raptor in 4A.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, but I am at dealers all day long, listening to stupid shit people do to their cars, and wanting Ford to pay for it.

I don’t see where I said anything about operation in any drive mode. All I said was don’t be calling some people idiots then rely on them to fix your mistakes.

This is about driving in 4A and what a service advisor incorrectly said about it. Driving in 4A is not "stupid shit", so what exactly are you running off at the mouth about?

I'm allergic to stupidity and had a reaction when reading your post.

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read my post again, never said anything about 4a. Just commenting on the post about idiot SAs and techs. The post just happened to be in this section.

I am defending my friends, co- workers and colleagues. One inaccurate comment does not make them all idiots. They have a tough job, and are trying to do the right thing, but always seem to be on the hot seat if they make a mistake.

That being said, I might know a little about all the modes in the Raptor as well as all the other systems in Ford cars and trucks. I have rebuilt plenty of them, taught hundreds of techs how to rebuild them, and regularly consult with the engineers on what I see in the field. Some of the breakage I see is due to design issues, most of it owners not taking care of their stuff properly, or abuse.

It’s too bad your ******* got all bunched up, just proves my point.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What are you talking about? You can drive this truck in any drive mode, and not expect anything to break. If something does break... yes Ford should pay to repair it.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's the deal...
If there is a need for more traction, like rain or snow, sure 4A is just fine...but if it's not needed it won't blow anything up but you're just running parts that don't need to turn and why wear them out any quicker then need be...

wjn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about? You can drive this truck in any drive mode, and not expect anything to break. If something does break... yes Ford should pay to repair it.
Sarcastic mode, probably?

If you drive this (or any) truck in 4H/4L and/or locked differential on dry pavement, things will break as soon as you want to do something else than driving in a straight line. Just physics.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sarcastic mode, probably?

If you drive this (or any) truck in 4H/4L and/or locked differential on dry pavement, things will break as soon as you want to do something else than driving in a straight line. Just physics.

Goes without saying...

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My take.

#1 - never EVER trust a sales man. Most are just prostitutes who have no brand loyalty or specific knowledge outside of the training brochure.

#2 - mechanics fall into two categories. Old school and New School. The OS experience and advice does not always translate to brand new vehicles, just like NS advice does not work with older cars.

In theory. you can use 4a 100% of the time because if there is no need for traction from the front, those wheels wont be engaged. But I would argue there are times when the clutch's would engage when not required in some situations causing some extra wear and tear on the clutch's, but nothing else.

Use your common sense. If you drive normal, and are not in danger of spinning the tires all the time. It really shouldn't matter if you are in 2h or 4a.

If you drive aggressive and are frequently spinning the tires, 4a will be good for you, but you may put extra wear on the clutch packs.

in my case. 97% of the time I am in 2h. 4a for wet pavement and light snow. 4h for deep snow and off road if I ever see it.