ok mall / street rats.....what millage are you without doing the shock rebuild?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the shocks(dampers) are not leaking and you’re not noticing a problem, why would you rebuild them?
I'm guessing cuz the manual says to... on another note I have the non live valve 3.0s - does anyone know of a place that does rebuild swaps with those?

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the kind of thing you have to take with a huge grain of salt. My truck is mostly street driven, I'm around 55k miles, and I can't imagine paying to have the shocks rebuilt simply because they manual says to do it at 50k.

I'll do it when they leak or I notice that they're worn out, just like how I replace tires when they're worn out and not at a specific mileage.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Money and time, the same things you gain by not paying for anything unnecessary.
Yes but think about it like this, you service them now and you can roll to 100k …

What happens to a shock is the fluid loses viscosity due to heat cycling and absorption of minute amounts of moisture which cause emulsification of the hydrolic fluid. Also the seals wear and trim specs on tolerance come out of spec. Stroke volume and dampening change and I assume the live wire system will compensate by going to the firmest setting.

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is the kind of thing you have to take with a huge grain of salt. My truck is mostly street driven, I'm around 55k miles, and I can't imagine paying to have the shocks rebuilt simply because they manual says to do it at 50k.

I'll do it when they leak or I notice that they're worn out, just like how I replace tires when they're worn out and not at a specific mileage.
This is my exact thinking

OP
OP
goblues38

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes but think about it like this, you service them now and you can roll to 100k …

What happens to a shock is the fluid loses viscosity due to heat cycling and absorption of minute amounts of moisture which cause emulsification of the hydrolic fluid. Also the seals wear and trim specs on tolerance come out of spec. Stroke volume and dampening change and I assume the live wire system will compensate by going to the firmest setting.
It’s a shock. When it goes bad. I think I’ll replace it. And save some cash. Why replace it at 50k if it will go to 75k

Tbogo

Reaction score
It’s a shock. When it goes bad. I think I’ll replace it. And save some cash. Why replace it at 50k if it will go to 75k
There are a lot of Raptors out there and I'll bet most folks are NOT rebuilding their shocks at the Fox or Ford recommended intervals. Probably only the heavy off-roaders are doing theirs and usualy because they are leaking.