Oil Pump Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mdaily1512

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2011 Gen 1 and I was just told by the dealer that the oil pump failed and my motor was blown but didn’t provide many details on what they did to diagnosis it. Quick background , it’s at 170k miles I had it in a local performance shop to have it tuned up. After a couple days of getting it back I noticed like a chain noise coming from the front. I had it sent to the dealer to take a look and got the call back today. I never had any indication that the pump was going back. Does this sound right? What questions do u recommend I ask?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A failed oil pump will typically result in spun bearings and a large amount of metal debris in the oil. Sometimes the engine will lock up completely. It’s not a common failure on stock engines; do you have a supercharger installed?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
A failed oil pump will typically result in spun bearings and a large amount of metal debris in the oil. Sometimes the engine will lock up completely. It’s not a common failure on stock engines; do you have a supercharger installed?
Not only that, it would be the first 6.2L Raptor engine to EVER have a mechanical problem in all of recorded history!

It’s probably going to need a tear down to asses the damage.

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

it’s at 170k miles I had it in a local performance shop to have it tuned up. After a couple days of getting it back I noticed like a chain noise coming from the front.

You said local perfomance shop to have it "Tuned" as in More power tune or just spark plugs and such---Did they Custom "Tune" it?

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your engine had a catastrophic failure, there’s likely a ton of metal in the oil pan. Could probably drain the oil and cut open the filter to have a pretty good idea before the front cover even had to be removed. Probably tons of DTCs as well from when the engine went.

I’m also curious of the “…and such” that your tuning shop performance shop did or if there were any pre-existing bolt on or tuning modifications. Haven’t really heard of any 6.2L oil pumps failing other than those where the gears grenaded due to chatter/harmonics transmitted through the drivetrain in a forced induction application. The oil pump is a very simple gerotor design with a bypass plunger/spring that opens at a certain pressure.

Don’t take my comments the wrong way. I’m all for modding and have a Whipple supercharger etc., but I have various supporting upgrades and I’m of no impression that my truck is bulletproof even with the supporting mods and my attempt at maintaining mechanical sympathy when driving.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plenty of 6.2L fleet trucks HD vans have had oil pump failures stock!!!
I've seen it firsthand at the dealers that strictly do fleet trucks and HD vans with 6.2Ls when I lived up at NYC.
Is it a common failure? No, but it's a thing.
You know the guys that drive them beat the crap out of them and usually companies do not keep up with proper maintenance.
Wheel hop (even stock) and hard banging shifting, then add sloppy timing chains with worn out slack adjusters.
This will start to stress crack the sh_ty stock oil pump gears.
What usually happens is the rings will melt and seize the pistons up right in the cylinder walls.
I was one of them but was Supercharged at the time.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Plenty of 6.2L fleet trucks HD vans have had oil pump failures stock!!!
#FAKE NEWS. YOU ARE FAKE NEWS.
There have never, ever, ever been any 6.2L failures and your post is Gen1 HERESY!

Everyone knows this. You can search FRF posts from about July, 2016 - mid 2019 to understand this. All posts reporting problems with Raptors powered by the 6.2L engine were found to be Russian disinformation.

I was one of them but was Supercharged at the time.
IIRC, doesn’t someone make an aftermarket piece to better serve the S/C applications?

Hopefully OP doesn’t have a complete meltdown on his hands. Fingers crossed.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, there are aftermarket billet oil pump gears NOW!!!
But since I was the second Whipple charged Raptor actually running on pavement.
I was in short, the learning curve on what a Supercharged stock 6.2L does outside of a controlled test mule environment.
Member "Biggest" pop his gear about a month before mine but he was running a Tune basically maxed out.
Then Triangle Speed Shop with engineering done by L & M Motor designed the billet oil pump gear sets for the 5.0L and 6.2L

Last edited: