Oil pressure warnings before and after engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ethanb544

Reaction score
Hey y’all, after recently undergoing an engine replacement on my 2017 Raptor due to alleged oil/rear main seal issues, my truck seems to still be throwing the same warnings - but without the catastrophic failure. Prior to engine replacement, the truck had been at the dealership for over 7 months starting with a cam phaser issue then oil pressure warnings turning into limp mode/no acceleration. Taking it into the dealer, they indicated that the oil was leaking at an extreme rate but there were never any obvious oil spots in my garage/driveway. After the dealer attempted to figure out what was wrong, nothing was conclusively discovered other than the dealer test driving the truck without a minimally sufficient level of oil in the engine leading to the engine blowing up and requiring a replacement. To sum it up, the truck has been having issues for over a year now related to acceleration and going into limp mode with a no oil pressure warning. Now that I’ve gotten the truck back with a new engine and rear main seal, the same oil warning presents itself, with an added charging system service needed warning. During this most recent dealership visit, the items that changed were a replaced engine and new battery. Now I’m curious as to what is causing this due to the continuity of the oil warnings onto a new engine, and the new charging system warnings occurring with a new battery. With these new warnings, however, the truck drives fine. Where as loss of acceleration previously accompanied the oil warnings, nothing happens now and the truck drives fine. I’m truly lost as to what is wrong with this truck, if anything is actually wrong anymore, and no dealership seems to be able to figure it out - only making it worse and then finally blowing up the engine. I’m reaching out in an attempt to figure out what’s wrong with my truck and in the hopes that someone has any idea what is going on here. Thanks y’all!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF and congratulations on your first post after being here for 3 years.

We need more information. What are the codes? Could be a pinched wire, bad sensor, bad control module. How long between oil changes? What kind of oil and filter are used? Is it happening at idle or WOT? Where is the oil level on the dipstick?

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first question would be did they actually replace the engine? Possibly just told you that while trying to put a band-aid on your original engine. If they actually replaced it there in no way should be the same warning for the same issue.

That code should have been lost during the time it wasn’t on battery power. Code’s been set off because it see’s the same/ similar instance that initially set it off. JMO.

Have you checked for your VIN number on the block? That would’ve been the first thing I would have done.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That’s kind of an odd scenario. Was this a warranty covered repair?
I would be wondering if the battery management system is possibly causing the charging alert. I think BMS reset needs to be done post battery replacement. probably a good enough place to start.

As to the oil pressure warning, what’s the actual oil pressure? that seems like an easy enough question to answer, they should be able to connect diagnostics and tell if the there is an oil pressure issue or not. If not, could be sender, harness, one of the legion of computer modules...

#AreWeSureItsNotAprius

RamRod038

Reaction score
@ethanb544 unfortunately I have had the same issue with the oil pressure light putting my truck into limp mode, I have also recently had a new engine installed and the low oil pressure light is still occasionally coming on but no longer going into limp mode. Have you been able to find out the cause of this even with a new engine?? No engine codes are occurring with this.