Oil on Driver side Valve Head Cover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn’t touch the valve cover at all, get the dealer to order your valve cover and the. It shouldn’t take them long to swap it out, this way they can have a loaner ready for you as well.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good work! And I would say you will be fine. It did not just happen, and not like it will leak all the oil out until you can fix it. I would just be sure to keep tabs on your oil level, just in case. And drive it until you can fix it....And take it back to those lazy techs! :)

Also, you could probably drop a little super glue or JB Weld on the crack, if it would make you feel better until you get it fixed..

Good luck..and Take care.

DC
Great suggestion on JB Weld or super glue... BUT......... if that were done, I do not think the dealer would warranty the part or touch it. Just cautioning you that if they see that, they would probably use it as an excuse to deny.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great suggestion on JB Weld or super glue... BUT......... if that were done, I do not think the dealer would warranty the part or touch it. Just cautioning you that if they see that, they would probably use it as an excuse to deny.
Great point! I wasn't thinking about it being a warranty repair....AND would hope they would see the temporary repair as an attempt to mitigate damage until permanent repairs could be made...BUT...You just never know! Especially if the guy was too lazy to clean it to check for a leak...He may try to get out of actually having to replace it :)

Good advice...
DC

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
i had the same thing happen with mine when they did the cam phaser recall. they must have pryed my valve cover off and cracked it at the time and then reinstalled. a few months later i noticed the oil build up and took it back. luckily a great service tech took the valve cover off and held a flashlight behind every section of the valve cover and found the hairline crack. replaced under warranty but still makes me question why so many vital parts on our $60K+ trucks have so much plastic (valve covers, oil pan etc.)

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i had the same thing happen with mine when they did the cam phaser recall. they must have pryed my valve cover off and cracked it at the time and then reinstalled. a few months later i noticed the oil build up and took it back. luckily a great service tech took the valve cover off and held a flashlight behind every section of the valve cover and found the hairline crack. replaced under warranty but still makes me question why so many vital parts on our $60K+ trucks have so much plastic (valve covers, oil pan etc.)
It's the only way to make the Gen 2 lighter than the Gen 1, just using aluminum on the body isn't enough. Being a little sarcastic here, lol.

ChinookDriverJoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just noticed oil in the same place while doing spark plug replacement. Cam phasers done a few months ago. Glad I found this thread. Going to clean it up and check for cracks now. They thought it was an oil pan but this could be the culprit. Or both!

Wilbur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I just found oil in the same spot (driver's side toward the front), while I was installing Turbo Inlet Tubes last night. 2019 with 47k miles.

Is there a TSB for this issue? If my valve cover is cracked is it still safe to drive? I have a 2000 mile road trip scheduled for the beginning of December, and I honestly doubt my dealer could get me in and replace it before then.