Oil leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alcoolaid

Reaction score
Best way to determine where all the leaks are coming from is to brake clean everything down then drive around for a day or two and check again.

But it does look like you might have an oil pan leak and some seals on the diff leaking?

3rd pic concerns me the most because it looks like oil is coming from somewhere higher than the pan? Or maybe it could be the fan/airflow slinging the oil everywhere.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
You can 100% put the metal oil pan on!!!! Order the one for a late model or 2019 Raptor and order the oil pickup for the same year. (Late model 2018 and newer come with metal pans) you will drop the plastic pan remove the original oil pick up. Replace it with the new one and install the metal pan. They will tell you that the metal pan will not fit due to the oil pick up on the plastic pan. If you search this forum there are write ups on how to do this. Make sure you order these parts from the dealer hope this helps

View attachment 132716
Working on it now, getting a kit from RBmotorworks.

Wender85

Reaction score
Sweet let me know how it works out. Also can you provide a link for others who might want to do the same thing? Keep us posted if it works out for u. Thanks again

OP
OP
bp299

bp299

Reaction score
So, turns out the front of the valve covers are leaking also. Went by yesterday and they had the top off. Tech said it was common as they don't have gaskets and are sealed "by robots at factory" w/ silicone. They had a 19 pan in stock and said won't fit but I'll go back today and show them otherwise.

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, turns out the front of the valve covers are leaking also. Went by yesterday and they had the top off. Tech said it was common as they don't have gaskets and are sealed "by robots at factory" w/ silicone. They had a 19 pan in stock and said won't fit but I'll go back today and show them otherwise.

While the 19 pan "fits", you also need the 19+ parts that go with it. Updating to the metal oil pan is a MAJOR job. Ask those that did it here themselves. It is not as simple as you think. People have been reviewing this since mid 2018 when that metal pan became available.

OP
OP
bp299

bp299

Reaction score
While the 19 pan "fits", you also need the 19+ parts that go with it. Updating to the metal oil pan is a MAJOR job. Ask those that did it here themselves. It is not as simple as you think. People have been reviewing this since mid 2018 when that metal pan became available.

Any links? Is the gasket different?

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Interesting.... I have a 2017 that had the oil pan replaced x 2 at 5,000 and again 10,000 miles. It now has 52,000 miles and I noticed oil on the bottom side of the timing chain cover, passenger alternator, and passenger side front timing chain cover. I bet it's the valve cover too.

I'll add some pics to this thread later and see what you guys think too.

Edit: I added the link from previous.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/help-guess-the-leak.72576/

Last edited:

Kuan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any links? Is the gasket different?

Research it here - tons of info on the part numbers. The metal pan is way too huge of an undertaking to swap. Many just trade in because many are unaware.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.... I have a 2017 that had the oil pan replaced x 2 at 5,000 and again 10,000 miles. It now has 52,000 miles and I noticed oil on the bottom side of the timing chain cover, passenger alternator, and passenger side front timing chain cover. I bet it's the valve cover too.

I'll add some pics to this thread later and see what you guys think too.

Edit: I added the link from previous.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/help-guess-the-leak.72576/

Mine was indeed the timing chain sealant. The dealer did an oil dye test and sure enough it confirmed the leak. Tore everything apart yesterday and put new sealant in. We shall see how well everything holds up.

gas520

Reaction score
I just came from the dealership and dropped my '17 Raptor to check an oil leak coming from above the front differential. Service guy says they'll use a dye to figure out source of oil leak and will take 1 or 2 days to fix. I have 31K miles on the odometer and already had my plastic oil pan leak at 20K miles and replaced. This time I checked the plastic oil pan and it is clean and dry.

My ******* forgot to uninstall my COBB stage 2 tune before dropping off truck at the dealer. I hope dealer does not find out. Other than the oil leak I mentioned, this truck is awesome!

See image attached.

20200301_165158_LI.jpg