Oil dipstick is hard to read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who has a hell of a time getting an accurate reading with this damned spiral dipstick? I changed the oil in my '13, today, and put 6.5 qts back in. Started truck for a minute and then let it sit a minute. Removed and cleaned dipstick, reinserted, pulled out. Streaks of oil past the full mark. Hmm... did that like 6 more times in a row and got 6 different results! On the readings where it was over there was just a thin streak of oil on one side of the stick.

I don't want to overfill, and figure 6.5 is safe assuming it's not possible to get all 7 quarts out, but boy is it frustrating to get such varied results!

I'll try once more after my commute, tomorrow, to see if it's easier when the oil darkens. Maybe I'll take a picture to post, too.

If anyone has any tips other than "take it to Ford for oil changes" I'm all ears...

FWIW this was the fourth time I've changed the oil and I have trouble getting an accurate dipstick reading every time.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You HAVE to wait for the oil to drain out of the top end. Wait overnight check it in the morning.

Last edited:

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should be fine with 6.5 qt but the owners manual states 7 qt with a filter change and to wait 15 minutes after shut down of the engine. The dip stick is hard to read when the oil is new.

OP
OP
D

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha! My problem was my impatience. After checking it cold this morning, it was very easy to read. And I had just the right amount of oil in the engine. Thanks for all the replies,

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always put in 7 quarts. And it's hard to read when the oil is new as it is clear/transparent.

Yeah the dipstick doesn't pick up enough oil to get an accurate read IMO. I always end up putting in about 6.8-6.9 qts

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk