Oil Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tested this style of oil cooler extensively on other engines on track. Its a street setup and not ment for high stress situations. (oil to liquid coolers that is) Its primary benefit is getting the oil up to temp quickly in a street car without having to resort to a thermostatically controlled oil cooler. Which is what we do on most track cars that see street time to prevent them from over cooling the oil. The oil cooler doesn't actually see oil until 190* with a thermostatically controlled sandwich plate. Separate systems drastically reduce the chance of heatsoaking the entire system. Also not all cores are the same. Especially when comparing mishimoto to something like a setrab core. Also use aeroquip fitting whenever possible.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh ok, I was thinking the other way around.
You want to run a sandwich plate between the oil pump housing and the filter that will allow the oil first go though the cooler and then back into the filter or visa versa.
I guess if the system your putting in can handle 80 to 85 psi. it should work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. A sandwich plate and pressure capable tubing/piping. I would like to pass through the filter first, then radiator to decrease the risk of clogs.

The problem really is what to do with the old setup. Ideally a radiator hose that will be able to replace the oem one without the oil cooler addition.

I am looking at buying the same setup for powersteering or transmission as well but the oil is my first concern.

And yes Reaper I agree this setup only works to heat up the oil quickly which doesn't benefit me much. I let the truck run for about 5 minutes before driving or putting a load on it every time.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just get a universal thermostatically controlled sandwich plate from mocal, some aeroquip fittings and lines and a setrab core. I've built literally hundreds of these for track cars and tried every combination of parts and those are the highest quality. Then get a radiator hose that doesnt have the funky parts that go the OEM oil cooler plate and ditch that thing. This whole situation is just like a turbo Subaru engine. We rip out the factory oil to water parts and use a separate core for the oil. BTW just for clarity that factory system is called and oil to water cooler. Since it uses the coolant to regulate oil temperatures. And not very well since you're trying to cool 230-280* oil with 210* water. Running the oil on its own radiator core would be called an oil to air cooler. Like we already talked about its really just to get the oil up to tempt fast and keep it at an even temp under "normal" use.

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am looking to piece this together as I am coming up on my 30k mileage "tune up" maintenance and would like to do this with all the oil and antifreeze out. I am having problems finding the spec measurements for the thing. APT ports or AN10? What size hose would be best suited? What is the inside diameter of the lower radiator hose? This is turning into a science project lol.

What is the stock oil filter thread size? 22mm x 1.5

What is the outside diameter of the oil filter? 3.656 in. to 3.78 in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get it all sorted out and working, please modify your first post with a nice write up.
I am interested in doing this too.

Carry on!

Oh it will be documented lol. I just have to figure everything out. I am contemplating leaving the oem setup to heat up the oil quickly, then add the radiator oil cooler to lower the operating temp. Mad scientist in the lab.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
Too bad I don't want to change the look of my truck because bigger hood vent are definitely needed!!!

I haven't looked at the vents on the hood now but from what I recall the holes are nowhere near as big as the side vents. Can you cut out a bigger hole to help with venting?