Oil Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been looking at adding on an oil cooler. I haven't decided between the remote fan one that is hidden or the radiator one out front. However, there is a part list already for an oil cooler on the truck. I see the cooler plate and hoses coming off and then lost the hoses in the dark. Where do they go to? Would it be easy to add on an upgraded oil cooler?

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see where it goes but doesn't seem to be anything special. Has anyone upgraded to a radiator style cooler? I'm looking to do a desert run this summer. Any insight is appreciated. 2416e0164f4c074cf454560bb0f7b2c3.jpg

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always wonder what happens here, is the oil get pumped to the lower radiator hose or is anti freeze routed though the oil filter housing.

I would go with the upgraded AFCO radiator, (it's been proven the AFCO drops temps down 20 degrees with a lower thermostat).
And a good transmission cooler with fans. I do think you'll see more benefits going that route.
Cooler anti freeze with a lower temp thermostat will cool the oil a little bit more, overall engine temp will be down and transmission will love you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually wanted to do both. I want to upgrade the radiator and fans but also wanted a radiator style oil cooler with a possible aux fan on it.

This fomoco oil cooler seems a bit weird.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Upgrading the fans for the radiator is a waste of money.
You need to talk to your Tuner and have him adjust the fans to jump on sooner.
I had to battle my Tuner to do it but I won in the end.
My fans jump on at 175-180 instead of stock 204-212 degrees.

This helps a whole lot when driving, but when it's 100+ degrees out and I'm stuck in traffic long enough it still gets up to 212+
The Raptor just generates to much heat under the hood.

Too bad I don't want to change the look of my truck because bigger hood vent are definitely needed!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upgrading the fans for the radiator is a waste of money.
You need to talk to your Tuner and have him adjust the fans to jump on sooner.
I had to battle my Tuner to do it but I won in the end.
My fans jump on at 175-180 instead of stock 208-212 degrees.
That's a great tip.

Do you think you could take off the factory cooling plate and place an aftermarket one and route the new oil radiator that way? Or would that leave an opening in the cooling system that is vital?

OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have figured out how the system works. It seems the coolant would l;oop around the oil. This would be achieved by entering A and exiting B. However, I want to separate them. I want the coolant to cool the engine, and a separate radiator cooling the oil much like the transmission setup. I am going to look into adding on a oil cooling radiator and by passing the factory cooler. I am wondering if I will have to make a custom hose or can just plug it.

Attachments

• cooling.jpg
    cooling.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
OP
OP
Raptized

Raptized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that you will need a anti-freeze circulator pump for the separate oil cooling setup.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GEG2JQW/?tag=fordraptorforum-20
Why would you need another pump? Would you not be able to just utilize the existing oil pump pressure if the additional tubing is of good enough size and not extensively long?

I have purchased the cooling unit with fan and will mount in relatively close quarters. It also has a thermostat to turn the fan on at 180.