Oil consumption... who has it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread has me a little concerned with my new 18 that is still just under 2000 miles. I check the oil once a week and it's not using a drop so I'm safe hopefully. I've never owned anything that used oil.

OP
OP
FullAuto

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This thread has me a little concerned with my new 18 that is still just under 2000 miles. I check the oil once a week and it's not using a drop so I'm safe hopefully. I've never owned anything that used oil.

You will most likely be fine. It seems to be a small amount compared to trucks sold. Just monitor your oil the first 10k miles.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys... I'm talking about losing qts. between oil changes without any visible leaks. Enough that I set off "no oil pressure" warnings and stall out. This is excessive for this motor and I've now seen multiple owners of 18s with this issue.

Yeah, in the words of my favorite Physics prof, "that ain't raht..."

T!

OP
OP
FullAuto

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They did an oil change and checked for visible leaks today (didn't find any). They are going to watch my oil levels going forward per Ford's guidelines. They told me Ford considers up to 1 qt of oil loss in 3k miles within normal operating conditions for this motor. I seem to be losing more than that but it needs to be documented to move forward with any repairs. Not thrilled at this point since it's my second Ford Performance vehicle in less than a year with motor issues. I had a RS that was included in the head gasket recall.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
if you’re close, or marginal, there’s always the option of a siphon via dipstick tube. Since now you know what the threshold is and you know it’s using a prodigious amount of oil, you have clear standards and objectives so they will be easy to meet.

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having burned oil going out the tailpipe is not good. Cat converters will eventually get coated and ruined. They need to replace turbos or valve covers and just fix the problem,

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres my dip stick after about 1200 miles I never checked when I bought new big mistake so I topped off and I'll have to watch and see from here on.91b43339b5bd6876fab2a71dc17a8a65.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Been checking oil on regular basis all good not burning any oil I am now up to 3400 miles so I feel much better about this issue at least for now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FullAuto

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had to bring it in early for a few other issues before the required mileage. They took a look at my oil level and it was low compared to how much I've driven. I'm having new valve covers installed this week. This truck has been back to a dealer more times in a year than any other vehicle I've owned.