Oil consumption... who has it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 with the plastic oil pan that leaked. It's now fine after the 3rd and finally successful attempt to address the leak. I was changing my own oil and showing 1/2 quart low after 5000 miles. The pan leak was slight with no oil ever showing on the garage floor, and I didn't think the leak was enough to explain the 1/2 quart of oil loss. However, since I got the pan sealed with no leaks, the oil usage is nil. It now has 27,000 miles on the odometer.

GaRaptor

Reaction score
I have always performed my own oil changes since new. Mobil 1 full synthetic. First at 2600 miles. Then at 7600 miles. Now I'm at a little over 10k. I've sent in a sample with each oil chg to Blackstone labs. Everything came back normal. Truck runs great and no problems knock on wood. I drive it like I stole it 75 % of the time and off-road every week. My truck uses a quart or more about every 5k miles. No smoking. No cel. I also have a catch can

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always performed my own oil changes since new. Mobil 1 full synthetic. First at 2600 miles. Then at 7600 miles. Now I'm at a little over 10k. I've sent in a sample with each oil chg to Blackstone labs. Everything came back normal. Truck runs great and no problems knock on wood. I drive it like I stole it 75 % of the time and off-road every week. My truck uses a quart or more about every 5k miles. No smoking. No cel. I also have a catch can

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
f9a587391540b0987f10c27afaecce7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the valve covers. The design has the gaskets sealing the oil side from the intake side in very close proximity. The seals were updated as well as the PCV built into the top of them. This ended my oil burning. Photo for reference.

2aab45e54b80bbdd8f484aac5a9f11f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2018 has about 18k miles on it. I do oil changes about every 3-4k. In that time the truck uses a perceptible, but not large, amount of oil, and has since day one. The oil drops maybe 1/4 inch (or a bit less) on the dipstick during 3-4k miles I put on each oil change. What that means in real oil use I have no idea, but should be well under a fifth of a quart.

That consumption does not particularly bother me. I have owned other motors that used that much oil from early on and still went hundreds of thousands of miles. Unless the consumption accelerates I am not concerned.

And yes, I have heard that boosted motors do tend to use a little oil. I have no idea if that is true or not, but it would not surprise me. Otherwise, why would catch cans or oil / air separators be so popular?

T!

Last edited: