Oil consumption... who has it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is most definitely a problem. If this is not properly diagnosed on your next warranty visit, trade that thing in as fast as you can.

You don't even own a Raptor so you aren't allowed to talk.

My truck is headed back to the dealer next week. It appears to be consuming oil between changes. 16k miles on it and I first noticed it at 11.5k. The dealer is going investigate it on this next visit. Their initial thought was that the tech under filled it on my previous oil change (about 1.5k earlier). Obviously, now that it has happened again there seems to be an issue. I don't see any signs of a leak anywhere. So those that have gone through this what should I expect next?

If I were you I would start doing your own oil changes and checking the oil every 1000 kms/miles so see when it starts to consume oil. Also wouldn't hurt to get a catch can either and see how much blow by you have. I don't trust dealerships with stuff like that because its likely the new guy that's learning who's changing your oil.

Miamibert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck man. Hope it all works out. I don't like dealers working on my vehicles. I know it's tough to find time to do things yourself, but if you're able, at times you're better off.

OP
OP
FullAuto

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I check my levels after each change. I honestly don't feel it was under filled at any point. It most likely has been consuming oil from the start but wasn't caught becuase of how frequently I changed it in the first 10k miles. I'll post up when I know more.

cdurbin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I check my levels after each change. I honestly don't feel it was under filled at any point. It most likely has been consuming oil from the start but wasn't caught becuase of how frequently I changed it in the first 10k miles. I'll post up when I know more.
After the dealership changes the oil, how long are you giving it before you check the oil?

The reason I ask, is I’ve done my own since I’ve purchased the truck. Oil changes are...odd to say the least on this truck. I can only ever get 5qts out even when the dipstick says it’s full. Anyways, I can refill until it says full, but if I drive it and get it to operating temperature, let it sit overnight on level ground it’ll show .5qts low. I add he half a quart and it’ll show full until my next oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
After the dealership changes the oil, how long are you giving it before you check the oil?

The reason I ask, is I’ve done my own since I’ve purchased the truck. Oil changes are...odd to say the least on this truck. I can only ever get 5qts out even when the dipstick says it’s full. Anyways, I can refill until it says full, but if I drive it and get it to operating temperature, let it sit overnight on level ground it’ll show .5qts low. I add he half a quart and it’ll show full until my next oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s some awesome advice right there. Still learning the little quirks of the Raptor and noticed that the oil level needs to settle down after a change.

Might seem OCD or paranoid to check that much but really it’s part of the maintenance. I’ve always said to get intimate with your vehicle since the owner knows it best.

Devilsfan72

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was down 2/12 quarts in 5000 miles, heck engine light came on and the dealer replaced the valve covers for the issue. Good ever since

Rapty

Reaction score
My gen 2 uses oil and coolant, it also smokes a lot after idling for extended periods. I had one turbo changed in September and now the 2nd turbo is toast and will be changed Thursday. I can’t wait to send this piece to auction, the countdown is on.

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the dealer do my oil change but I supply the filter and seven quarts Mobil 1 5W-30. They only use 6 but it ****** them off when I raise the hood in the service bay and double check. I check again when I get home and after three oil changes, no problems. I change when the light comes on, about 7k and so far no loss in oil level. I started doing this because a dealer in Utah shorted my GEN1 by a quart. I have 190k on the GEN1 with no burning oil. Hope the GEN2 does the same.

loupuleff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres my dip stick after about 1200 miles I never checked when I bought new big mistake so I topped off and I'll have to watch and see from here on.91b43339b5bd6876fab2a71dc17a8a65.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk