Oil consumption? 2020?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just spoke to a friend who was hanging out with a ford service manager. He was talking all kinds of crap how the 3.5 use 1 qt every 1000 miles. Saying it’s not a good motor. I see there’s a TSB for the 2017-2019. Did they do something different in 2020? I’ll keep and eye out on mine, but was wondering. Thanks

Your first mistake was listening to hearsay; your second mistake was trusting a service manager to provide technical information. The TSB you are referring to was for valve cover replacement on certain trucks built before 4/1/19. 2020 models were not affected, as they already had the updated valve covers.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your first mistake was listening to hearsay; your second mistake was trusting a service manager to provide technical information. The TSB you are referring to was for valve cover replacement on certain trucks built before 4/1/19. 2020 models were not affected, as they already had the updated valve covers.
So I have a 2018 and have no oil consumption issue, guess I got lucky. Not so much with the cam phasers though.

MGA

Reaction score
I had the valve cover issue on my '19 at 2,000 miles and pretty much solved the oil consumption issue. My neighbor who owns a garage told me with the turbos and if you get on it he would not be surprised to see a quart low at a 5,000 oil change interval which he considered typical of turbos, my experience has been just over a 1/2 quart low at 5,000 mile change interval though I only have about 21,000 miles so far. Just my experience, not an expert

Tonga3

Reaction score
121,000 km's on my '18. I have yet to have to add oil between changes and I do check it frequently.

Tonga3

Reaction score
Wow! I thought I was racking up the kilometres. Great to hear she’s going strong.
Definitely, not going to lie, was a little nervous with how fast I was putting on the mileage. Touch wood so far so good. I change oil at about 50% generally, use 0w40.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the valve cover issue on my '19 at 2,000 miles and pretty much solved the oil consumption issue. My neighbor who owns a garage told me with the turbos and if you get on it he would not be surprised to see a quart low at a 5,000 oil change interval which he considered typical of turbos, my experience has been just over a 1/2 quart low at 5,000 mile change interval though I only have about 21,000 miles so far. Just my experience, not an expert

Glad to hear the issue was resolved. Not sure what your neighbor is referring to though; turbochargers don't consume oil unless they have failed bearings/seals.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I have a 2018 and have no oil consumption issue, guess I got lucky. Not so much with the cam phasers though.

The issue didn't affect every engine; only a limited population received the faulty valve covers, but it was over a wide time frame.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is am ecoboost issue. It's not on other engines. I am not picking on the ecoboost... Just has all the issues. Don't assume..........

Nobody is assuming anything, you make it blatantly obvious through your continual trolling of Gen 2 threads. All you do is to post misleading and often false information. That doesn’t help anyone; of course we all know helping members is the last thing on your agenda.