oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
finally my 4th oil change an finally no mess ,wtf was ford thinking with oil filter location ,and drain bolt to far back .

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Makes a guy wonder if he should of bought a Chevie instead, NOT!!
literally need 2 drain pans ,the min u remove the oil filter it starts shooting out the Drain plug again, then the oil filter residual oil comes out the stamped metal pan ,need a pan ready for that .feel like the 3 stooges moving pans around to catch oil coming out various holes

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
literally need 2 drain pans ,the min u remove the oil filter it starts shooting out the Drain plug again, then the oil filter residual oil comes out the stamped metal pan ,need a pan ready for that .feel like the 3 stooges moving pans around to catch oil coming out various holes
So you're saying that my strategy of draining the pan, replacing the plug, moving my catch basin, and then removing the oil filter isn't optimal? Dang.

OP
OP
G

greatone99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you're saying that my strategy of draining the pan, replacing the plug, moving my catch basin, and then removing the oil filter isn't optimal? Dang.
no the min u remove the oil filter ,it must break the vacuum .every time ive done it ,plug first till stops draining ,remover oil filter ,comes shooting out drain pan again .

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a Fumoto. I changed my oil 2 days ago. Got exactly 6 qts out and put 6 back in. Drain the oil, plug the pan, then remove the filter. Unscrew the filter a little and let it drain out the hole in the skid plate.
No mess at all. First engine I've had in a while that doesn't use any oil at all.

amREADY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fumoto with a tube here.

Before that, I bent a piece of sheet metal and made a little drain channel for the drain plug. Not exactly high tech, but it worked well. The fumoto is just that much better. Did the oil last weekend and it was quick and painless. Now that I have the angles down on the filter, that is painless too. Filter off, clean the seal area, lube new filter gasket, spin it on...not FI racing pit fast, but pretty quick, and very little spill in that weird trough below the filter. Wipe out the weird trough, triple close and lock the fumoto and done and done.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine yesterday and remembered how much it sucks again.

See an old thread of mine, it helps.

And whoever designed those speednut clips needs shot. I’ve done 3 oil changes so far and my clips on the oil drain plug access aren’t staying put in the holes and are getting bent out of shape.

Izzi

Reaction score
6 bolts and I drop the entire skid plate. Drain the oil pan with zero mess. The only mess to wipe down is the trough under the filter. ‍♂️

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once a year oil changes are awesome--only 8k a year, seems pretty simple to me and no mess, I have it figured out lol----But yea the oil pan bolt could be in a better position