Oil change schedule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run Royal Purple 5-30w in my Raptor. It has set in the garage for most of the Winter. My question is how long can you go with out changing the oil. I was always told 3 months or 3k miles. I may have 300 miles on this oil change. Do you still have to change your oil due to time restraints with todays synthetic grade oils? I just feel like I have been wasting money in the past by prematurely changing the oil.

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shoot for 4000 mile oil changes and use the Motorcraft semi synthetic from Advanced Auto.. I also get the Ford racing oil filters from Amazon.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most people don"t know that oil doesent wear out, it gets contaminated. Thats why we have a oil filter, andwhen the filter gets full of particales we need to change it and the oil.

Oil does break down, the additives and detergents in it are essentially consumable. The more you heat cycle it the faster this occurs. It oxidizes, gets fuel contamination, water contamination, metallics from engine wear.

Its fairly common practice to change a filter at 3500 and oil at 7k, or if you have an econobox filter at 5 and oil at 10. Some fleets will do a 20k oil interval with filters every 5.

I care more about this truck than that. In 5000 miles the 7 quarts of oil has amortized in joy and functionality. I am glad to change the oil when the little screen tells me its time.

I hear Prius's's don't require oil changes at all...

Herk91

Reaction score
I think the time portion of blank months/blank miles is to cover if a vehicle idles a lot or is mostly city driven and not necessarily “shelf life” or in this case “oil pan life”. It seems like a better gauge would probably be engine hours per change or better yet revolutions per oil change.

I am not completely sure but I think oil might start to become somewhat corrosive overtime, or loses its ability to combat corrosion.

actually it doesn’t. Conventional motor oil needs changed every 5k miles and depending on your driving habits and conditions you use your Raptor.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford dealer when i purchased my 2018 was every 7,500 miles (owner's manual says 7,500 mile interval under normal driving conditions).
So i do it 7,500 miles or 1 year (never driven less than that in a year), and use Amsoil Signature Synthetic.