Oil change procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I might do mine or something wild...

I just ordered 5 FL500S. Got 5 fiters for 29 bucks shipped on Amazon.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
changing mine right now, heres what I use. 2018 15k miles

View attachment 134452

I'm sorry but you guys need to buy need to buy Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil
I change at 5,000 miles even though it says 15,000, I use it because of high heat and forced air induction.
I get far less crap in my Oil Catch Can since I switched 6 years ago from plain Mobil 1 and a hair more mpg.

Applications
Mobil 1 Extended Performance engine oils are recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-Extended-Performance

Mobil 1.jpg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-30-Extended-Performance-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17128876

Last edited:
OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I agree my method is probably overkill but when I remove the drain plug the second time I get a solid stream for a couple seconds so that tells me that there is still dirty oil draining from the top end. I'm most interested in getting as much of the contaminated oil out before adding the new oil.

I don't want this thread to turn into my oil is better than yours so lets keep it about procedure please.

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re changing the oil every 5k, I don’t think there’s any reason to worry about getting every drop of old oil out. Main thing is making sure the oil level is correct. The proper way to check the oil level is check it after you’ve driven it and it’s been parked for about 10 min after shutting it off.

Remoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy an extra quart of oil to chase out the old stuff. When its finished draining ill dump a quart thru with the drain plug out. Prob isnt doing much but it makes me feel good inside.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry but you guys need to buy need to buy Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil
I change at 5,000 miles even though it says 15,000, I use it because of high heat and forced air induction.
I get far less crap in my Oil Catch Can since I switched 6 years ago from plain Mobil 1 and a hair more mpg.

Applications
Mobil 1 Extended Performance engine oils are recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

https://www.mobil.com/en-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GL-XX-Mobil-1-Extended-Performance

View attachment 134457

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-5W-30-Extended-Performance-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-5-qt/17128876

I actually looked at that one this morning. didnt pull the trigger on it cause I change mine every 5k as well. Looks good though I will give it a shot next time around. thx

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I agree my method is probably overkill but when I remove the drain plug the second time I get a solid stream for a couple seconds so that tells me that there is still dirty oil draining from the top end. I'm most interested in getting as much of the contaminated oil out before adding the new oil.

I don't want this thread to turn into my oil is better than yours so lets keep it about procedure please.

I was only pointing if your going to buy Mobil 1 get the good stuff.

I let mine sit over night and park so the front is higher than the back,
this help the oil run down the heads to the back drains down to the oil pan.

I remove the oil filter first, WHY, because the oil filter has an anti drain back valve and can create suction in those oil passages.

I get all 7 quarts quarts out minus 3 to 4 oz. in about 20 minutes.

OP
OP
pat247

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was only pointing if your going to buy Mobil 1 get the good stuff.

I let mine sit over night and park so the front is higher than the back,
this help the oil run down the heads to the back drains down to the oil pan.

I remove the oil filter first, WHY, because the oil filter has an anti drain back valve and can create suction in those oil passages.

I get all 7 quarts quarts out minus 3 to 4 oz. in about 20 minutes.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I remove the oil fill cap and pull the dip stick up about six inches before I remove the drain plug. I agree that the majority of the oil is out of the engine in 15-20 minutes. My driveway has a slight incline also so that help the oil drain.