Oil change procedure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what the recommended drain time is when doing an oil change. What I normally do after I start the oil draining is rotate the tires, generally takes about an hour. I then replace the drain plug and move to the oil filter and remove it and let it drain for 20-30 minutes. I then install the new oil filter pre filled with new oil. I then remove the oil pan drain plug a second time and let it drain for another 15-30 minutes then replace drain plug and fill the engine with new oil.

As you can see it takes me about two hours just to drain all the old oil out of my truck. This got me to thinking about how much dirty oil is being left in the engine when taking the truck to the dealership or one of the fast oil change places as they claim to have you in and out in under thirty minutes.

I have 140K miles on my truck and have followed this procedure every 5k miles without any engine failures but would like to hear what other Raptor owners thoughts are.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’ll never get all the oil out of the engine.

I usually allow about 30 minutes or more of drain time depending on the other stuff I’m doing.

I haven’t been to the dealer for an oil change for about 20 years.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like way overkill. I just make sure my engine is warm, open up the Fumoto valve and let it drain for maybe 20 mins. Whatever is left over won’t hurt a thing if you are doing regular changes on reasonable intervals.

Geek-O-Boost

Reaction score
I've always poured an extra quart or so of clean oil through the system to try and help pull any of that old dirty oil out, depending on the capacity for the engine in the vehicle I have at the time.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah..... I'm not letting it drain for no 10 15 30 minutes. It'll drain until it stops dripping heavily, change the filter and then plug and fill.

BTW.... I need a part number for the oil filter please :)

Last edited:

Jason Snokhous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15k intervals is way too long IMO. It’s a turbo motor. I use Mobile 1 and change every 5k. Why buy a performance motor and not keep clean oil in it. It’s cheap insurance.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
nobody said they do 15k intervals......

i do mine when the change meter hits 20% or so.....usually around 7,500

3 months or 3,000 miles is a marketing gimic of the 70's and 80's.

Simplejack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
15k intervals is way too long IMO. It’s a turbo motor. I use Mobile 1 and change every 5k. Why buy a performance motor and not keep clean oil in it. It’s cheap insurance.

I change mine every 5k. this is my 3rd change. I have a total of 15k miles on the truck. I definitely dont recommend 15k mile intervals I was just stating year and truck mileage currently