Oil catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woolaroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanting to chime in and say thanks to all the people pointing out valid reasons to NOT get one. I don't have one but have looked into it. I'm sure for those that did get them the peace of mind is justification enough. For those that trust in the manufacturer to build the engine correctly or know that it's not needed that's justification enough not to add one.

On the other hand I'm wanting to add a tune because I don't think the manufacturer was aggressive enough with stock, spend money on what you value. I like the guy above's strip club idea.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve been on the fence about getting one. I got a boosted car and it doesn’t have a catch can either.

I installed CVF IC and noticed some ****** in the pipe. I am getting blowby and condensation but I was a small amount.

I think the above comments have convinced me that I don’t need a CC/AOS so I’ll pass for now.

I haven’t been to the noody bar in a long time tho...

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
I'll play Devil's advocate from the previous posts and opinions.

A lot of the tuners will recommend a CC, because the oil vapors running back into the intake will reduce overall octane and your cpu will start pulling timing and therefore reduce power.

I've had CCs on several cars, including several Mopar 5.7, 6.0, 6.4, and 6.2L motors. The oil they trap is a real thing. I bought a CC for my 6.7 powerstroke, but traded that in on my Raptor before I installed it. If you've ever seen some pics of the crap that gets into the turbo of a 6.7 you'd cringe. They can absolutely keep your intake and turbo system cleaner.

Now do you NEED them? No of course you don't need them. For me I've seen the benefit and like the little bit of additional peace of mind.

Also, saying that car manufactures are so smart with their engine designs that if a CC was beneficial it would have one stock, I respectfully disagree. If the engineers were so great, we wouldn't have valve cover issues, cam phaser issues, leaky sunroof issues, etc, etc, etc. Also, no one would ever need engine mods for more power, custom tunes, Bump stop kits, upgraded shocks, and other performance/suspension mods in general. No vehicle is perfect. There are always ways to improve them

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had no catch can on a stalled/cammed 2004 GTO for 78k miles, took intake & heads off for ported LS6 gear & the plenum had maybe 1/50th” of hard cooked on soot/carbon. True story.

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some will say no and some will say yes. Ultimately up to you and if you want to spend a few bucks on it. There are a few that are popular....UPR, JLT, and Mishimoto just came out with 1. Personally I got 1 (UPR) and am happy with it. Just drained it after 6000 miles
View attachment 135164 if you can pay 65k+plus on the truck, a few hundred isn't gonna kill ya. I'd rather collect what I can befor it goes threw the motor.
Man that alone is enough for me to want one if I didnt have one. That being said I do have one, like I mentioned before the first time I drained it their was just a tiny, tiny amount. The last time I did it, nada. So I'm not sure it's worth it at the moment. I'll check again in a few thousand miles....peace of mind is priceless though. So ultimately it's up to you OP.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I installed one in mine because the crap, blow-by caught by it just doesn't belong in the intake period.

The only reason it's routed into the intake is because of the EPA.

Originally the manufacturers routed this blow-by to the atmosphere. Why, well because they also didn't think it belonged in the intake but were forced to do so.

Prior to adding port injection Ford absolutely had terrible issues with blow-by on the back side of the valves but did they have a catch can then, nope.

Yes port injection does help but it simply can't and doesn't stop blow-by getting into your intake.

A catch can will!

It's my truck, my engine and I don't want anything like blow-by which absolutely doesn't belong in the intake in the intake.

As far as manufacturers not supplying a catch can is probably due to reasoning that is someone dosen't due due diligence on maintenance or just forgets to empty the catch can then a lot of oil would be dumped into the system at once.

Last edited:

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I come from the and still am in the Subaru world. There is always a concern with AOS/CC freezing up and not doing its job. That’s one other reason for me to keep with the stock PCV system.

IAG Performance makes a Subaru specific AOS that is heated with engine coolant. It also drains back into the engine. I’ve also seen Mann Provent used but is not plug ans play.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I come from the and still am in the Subaru world. There is always a concern with AOS/CC freezing up and not doing its job. That’s one other reason for me to keep with the stock PCV system.

IAG Performance makes a Subaru specific AOS that is heated with engine coolant. It also drains back into the engine. I’ve also seen Mann Provent used but is not plug ans play.

That's why I purchased UPR's breather too which replaces the oil cap in the Winter time, although it's not supposed to be an issue until I believe -20° or so but I run in winter just as a precaution.