Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Oil Burning and Adding New Oil?????

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Problems and Questions Forum' started by Keynote, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Keynote

Keynote Member

My new 19 Raptor is burning oil at about a quart or more every 2500 miles. Should I add any manufacturer’s oil, such as Mobile One Synthetic, or should I go to a Ford dealership and only add their brand. It still has the original oil from the manufacturer, so I am not sure if it okay to mix different brands. I am assuming Ford uses synthetic during manufacturing.

Should I expect for these oil burning issues to be resolved after the first oil change? I believe my truck was built after May of 2019, so it should already have the new valve covers.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  2. Rapt-up

Rapt-up Full Access Member

Call your selling dealers service dept. and make an appointment.

3. Keynote

Keynote Member

I asked a service advisor and he just said it was due to breaking it in. It doesn’t seem like they know how to address these issues. I honestly find the Ford service departments in my area to be the worst. They don’t seem to be motivated to fix things and take the longest. I have never been asked before in any other service departments for any other brands about how many days I am going to leave the vehicle to get something diagnosed or fixed. It was always assumed same day or within couple of days at most. I kinda feel like my warranty is almost useless.

Beinkounter likes this.
  4. 1BAD454SSv2

1BAD454SSv2 Full Access Member

I have a feb build 19 i bought new Dec 15th 2019. Checked oil when brought home, It was at full mark .500 miles later it was down half quart . Topped off with Mobil 1 . At the 1000 mile mark Oil was still at full mark . Took into dealer past Saturday for it first oil change little over 1000 miles cause it is free and so are next 3 free , i will use those pretty quick then do my own oil changes. I do break my stuff in pretty hard especially first 100 miles , that's the only chance you get to seat the rings I live 60 miles from the dealer i bought it from , heavy accel and decel on interstate the way home. Done this with my 2010 Raptor now has 90,000 miles and use no oil has had a whipple since 35,000 miles . As well as my 14 Ecoboost Tremor that used no oil. Tune and bolt on it was 420 RWHP . I change oil every 2500 miles . Lots of info on google about break in , piston ring seating.

OP where in Arizona are you? What dealers are you using?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    B E N likes this.
  5. B E N

B E N Full Access Member

it won't hurt to add oil, mix and match, whatever brand it's all compatible. Just make sure you get the correct weight, if your concerned most of the major parts stores sell motorcraft brand.

Dont drive the truck low on oil, $6 for a quart of oil is not worth the worry.

I would say losing a quart out of the engine on the first oil change is totally normal, no need for service unless it continues. These engines can take 10k miles to break in fully.

6. BigRick73

BigRick73 Member

I bought a Jan 19’ built SCAB and it was full upon my receiving inspection and at 1000 miles it was down a half a quart. Added Mobil 1 full synthetic. Checked it every 1000 miles until first change at 5000 miles, not down at all. Continued to check every 1000 miles and no oil added. Just got my second oil change at 10,000 miles and still no problem. Just check and add if needed.

7. B E N

B E N Full Access Member

As an aside I would be looking at doing an oil change before 1k on a brand new vehicle. There is a lot of crap from break in that builds up in the filter, and plenty of micro contaminants in the oil. Your well past initial break in, its a cheap way protect your bearings and turbos.

You can find a lot of proposed break in schedules for vehicles, some of them are dated but my preference is:

Drive it really hard for the first 100 miles, accelerate hard every chance you get, minimize idling, minimize cruising, give everything a chance to seat under pressure.

Never drive at a constant RPM the first 500 miles. This can be achieved by constantly changing speed and changing gears periodically which will help bed all of the trans clutches and. Also don't allow the truck to sit and idle any more than is necessary during this time.

Keep a good eye on all fluids during the break in period.

Get first oil change, then start driving it regularly.

Remember these are a fairly exotic engine, they are making a lot of power from a small displacement, it's worth giving them a little more attention.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  8. David Godbee

David Godbee Full Access Member

IMO you waited way to long to change oil first time. Now that said switch to full synthetic, make your choice of product, stay with motorcraft filter, and change every5K from now on and stay with same oil brand. You will see a decrease in consumption as break in completes. Use 93 non ethanol gas if available, you’ll like the performance.

9. Keynote

Keynote Member

I appreciate everyone’s feedback. I made an appointment with the dealer to look at oil burning but I will probably just ask them to change the oil and give it some more time to see if the issue gets resolved with break in. Asking dealer mechanics to mess with a new truck might be overkill and cause more problems.

10. B E N

B E N Full Access Member

They will probably tell you it's normal, now you know it is and you can be at ease about it.