GEN 2 Oil additive conditioners??? Really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooters1380

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I’m at the dealer currently having a couple maintenance issues done. I jacked my back up pretty good and can’t even put on my shoes so I figured I’d have them do an oil change for me.

This has never happened before but this service writer tried to upsell me on this new (as of last year according to him) oil additive conditioner that Ford is now recommending for the turbos. Uh huh. 45 bucks in addition to the cost of the oil. Anyone wanna chime in on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I’m at the dealer currently having a couple maintenance issues done. I jacked my back up pretty good and can’t even put on my shoes so I figured I’d have them do an oil change for me.

This has never happened before but this service writer tried to upsell me on this new (as of last year according to him) oil additive conditioner that Ford is now recommending for the turbos. Uh huh. 45 bucks in addition to the cost of the oil. Anyone wanna chime in on this?

Oil conditioner? WTF is that?

I don’t even use conditioner in my hair. It makes my man bun puffy.

OP
OP
shooters1380

shooters1380

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil conditioner? WTF is that?

I don’t even use conditioner in my hair. It makes my man bun puffy.
I’m not sure what it is. He said it’s something to keep your turbos moist and operating at a higher level then anyone else. Guaranteed an extra 100 horsepower at the wheels.

Actually all that was bullish!t but he did say they been using it for the last year and it’s supposed to do wonderful things for the turbo. Sounded like snake oil to me.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not sure what it is. He said it’s something to keep your turbos moist and operating at a higher level then anyone else. Guaranteed an extra 100 horsepower at the wheels.

Actually all that was bullish!t but he did say they been using it for the last year and it’s supposed to do wonderful things for the turbo. Sounded like snake oil to me.

What’s wrong with just a high quality full synthetic oil?

These guys are criminal but I guess there’s a sucker born every minute haha

OP
OP
shooters1380

shooters1380

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s wrong with just a high quality full synthetic oil?

These guys are criminal but I guess there’s a sucker born every minute haha
I agree with you. What erked me even more was when I told him “naw I don’t need any additive,” he said, “well you being a Raptor guy I thought you’d understand.”

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with you. What erked me even more was when I told him “naw I don’t need any additive,” he said, “well you being a Raptor guy I thought you’d understand.”

The guy has lots of brown matter coming out of his mouth. Sounds worse than a politician.

Many Ford models have turbos so shouldn’t they run conditioner in all of them?

I told my dealer that they would never see me there for service. Lots of upselling and nonsense.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can help you with this since I have a formula for a real oil additive that is not just a conditioner, but an additive formulated for turbo vehicles (race cars). My first question would be how many miles do you have on your Raptor and why is he wanting to run an additive. The additives on the market are supposed to increase lubricity, however from our testing of the majority of them offer little advantage over a full synthetic oil.

The only way I would run any additives is if you have sludge build up, which would be unlikely in a newer vehicle. You also need to be careful since some of those additives can damage the piston rings if they do not have the proper moly additive that protects the rings. Any shift in the oil pH can cause ring damage and internal corrosion.

OP
OP
shooters1380

shooters1380

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can help you with this since I have a formula for a real oil additive that is not just a conditioner, but an additive formulated for turbo vehicles (race cars). My first question would be how many miles do you have on your Raptor and why is he wanting to run an additive. The additives on the market are supposed to increase lubricity, however from our testing of the majority of them offer little advantage over a full synthetic oil.

The only way I would run any additives is if you have sludge build up, which would be unlikely in a newer vehicle. You also need to be careful since some of those additives can damage the piston rings if they do not have the proper moly additive that protects the rings. Any shift in the oil pH can cause ring damage and internal corrosion.
I have 1176 miles on my Raptor.

OP
OP
shooters1380

shooters1380

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell no on any additive. Your engine isn't even broken in yet. Full synthetic is all you need. The guy is trying to sell you snake oil. LOL
Yeah I wasn’t too happy. He had quite the attitude right up until he saw me with the service manager sitting in his Raptor, who happens to be a friend of mine. Then all of a sudden he wasn’t rude or talking down to me anymore.

Which brings me to something else. What are the labor rates at the dealers in your state? My buddy tells me the mechanical side of the shop is like 189 and hour and the maintenance Side is 149 per hour. The costs of these vehicles are gonna price themselves right out of business one of these days.