OG's method of 2Gen shock swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have the live valve shocks on my first gen and I have not yet figured out the cv axle angle change. It would appear that your top hat mod kept a similar length and would avoid putting the front axles into an extreme angle. Any suggestions would be welcome.

View attachment 160276 View attachment 160277

Both 1G and 2G shocks have an internal droop stop. Move the shock shaft up 2" like I did and the 2G shock droop stop is just right.

The extended length of the 2g is longer than the 1g. You can put on limit straps and it will fix the full droop CV destruction...

The piston of the shock and internal bypass mechanism will still be way the hell out of alignment and ride like ass, you'll hit the internal bypass 2" too soon in suspension compression..

Moving the shaft up fixes droop and moves the internal bypass at the same time.

Kodiak2015

Reaction score
thank you can you explain alittle more im swapping gen 2 shocks on to my 13 f150 stock not raptor doing full swap tho front and rear add aleaf and blocks till I get a custom leaf pack made

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get Deaver rear springs

It's simple on the front but you will need first-gen hats and springs in addition to the 2g shocks.. Refer to this thread as well as this one.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/the-last-gen-2-shock-swap-thread.65477/

My change was using a 1.5" leveling spacer.

1. Take the front shocks out.
2. Take the 1 gen hat apart.
a. drill the spot welds on the bottom of the bump stop cup to remove the cup.
b. cut the top off the bushing housing and remove the bushing.
3. Disassemble the 2nd gen shock and spring.
4. Knock out the studs from the 2nd gen hat.
5. Put the 1st gen hat on the truck, just the hat.
a. Install the OEM spacer rings on top and bottom of the bucket lined up like stock. This is thin side out on the bottom and thick side out on the top.
b. put the 1.5" leveling spacer ON TOP of the upper OEM spacer ring using the nuts from the spacer ring kit. Just snug for now.
c. Put the 2nd gen hat on the studs of the spacer, don't install nuts yet.
6. Put the 1gen spring on the 2nd gen shock body.
a. use a tape measure between the lower arm and bucket.
b. use a the 1st gen bumpstop and rubber upper isolator.
c. use a spring compressor to compress the spring enough that the shock will go in and have enough shock shaft exposed to slide it through all the parts on the bucket.
d. once the shaft will go through and all parts line up tighten the spacer nuts, drop the 2g hat back down, install the nuts, then put the shaft nut on.

Last edited:

Kodiak2015

Reaction score
By any chance you know the brand of spacer you used i have a rough country and it would fit in the top mount unless i find a shop to take some aluminum off it

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A shot of the rears.

157899867_10158107656768660_250520769086622024_o.jpg