Offroading in Michigan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Raptor

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Being a new Raptor-Owner and a newbie to the offroading scene, I just have some questions...
I read about the ORV sticker here in MI, what that's all about?
And more important: where can I start some easy offroading here in MI (especially down in Detroit Metro where I live)?

Malte

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With a full size SOS vehicle, more often than not, you will not need an ORV sticker. ORV Route in MI is open to all SOS vehicles. Technically your truck, or any full size, is only permitted to travel on ORV Route.

You will need an ORV sticker for parks and scramble areas, like Silver Lake, Mounds, Bull Gap, and Drummond Island.

You may need an ORV sticker if you are using ORV trail when permitted by the DNR, usually only for event purposes.

There are no DNR / Public off-road areas under an hour from Detroit.
Mounds in Mt. Morris. Silver Lake is 3 hours away. West Branch / Rose City and north is where most of the trails will start.

There are a number of private ORV parks in MI. Bundy Hill, Rocks and Valleys, and Twisted Trails to name a few

Stay tuned in on the forum and the guys will post up when they are heading out.

For more ORV general questions, stop over to GLFWDA.org

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 PM ----------

There are 3 levels of ORV trail / Route in MI.

1 ORV Route - Vehicles over 50" wide can have an SOS plate, or ORV sticker if not plated. Vehicles under 50" in width must have an ORV sticker
2 ORV trail - limited to vehicles 50" or less and must have ORV sticker
3 CCC Trail - Motorcycle only

The MI DNR website has pretty good maps by county that list out the trail / Route.

Drummond Island is the only area in MI that has rated trails, from 2wd car to 4x4 modified. ORV permit is required for SOS full size vehicles when on the 4x4 modified trails

Last edited:

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good find Chris. I was too lazy to go searching through the DNR website for all that stuff

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also be on the lookout for some events in the future from Great Lakes Raptor Expeditions. There will be one in the fall as well as

"The SnoBall ____"

OP
OP
D

Don Raptor

Reaction score
sound like a lot of fun! I just gonna start reading...and hoping for some snowy roads next week as we are heading towards the north...
Me like it sideways...:licklips:
btw: just bought a ORV sticker...

Last edited: