Offroading High Speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Just looked at the other forum and once I woke up after reading their rules list - decided I'm glad I never became a member there.

Viewing as a guest - they appear to have a limited amount of Offroading threads and experience based on what I saw.

The underlying point made is that when offroading at high speeds, you need to know how your vehicle will react when you hit an unforeseen obstacle - then need to know how to react to correct the situation.

Those of us who will "push the limits" should be aware of, and share with others, what to expect when hitting an unknown obstacle at a high speed. How to react - countersteer - throttle - etc. are all things that will benefit our members who are trying to push the limits of the Raptor.

(Bo - need input here!)

This is not just a sand buggy with leather seats - There are a multitude of offroading experiences to be had - and with safe endeavors, many good times are out there.

Last edited:

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JP is right, the better you know your weapon, the better armed you'll be. I find when offroading at high speed it's important to scout your terrain before you really hit it hard. Pre-run your terrain at a slower speed to become aware of your surroundings. Keep in mind that just because you know an area from past experience that you still ought to scout it for new obstacles. Inclimate weather can make major changes to an area, so if there has been heavy rain since your last outing at that locale, then you'd be wise to note changes before hitting it hard. The last thing you wanna do is find that newly-formed giant rut at 80 miles an hour.... That often leads to an expensive aftermath. Pre-run the area at half speed, know the locations of obstacles you wanna avoid, then go back and put the pedal to the metal on lap 2... A driver who knows his terrain is much better prepared to own that shit when hitting it hard.

I know it's a debatable move, but i've also found that since I removed my front swaybar my truck it performs so much better at high speed off road. The independent front suspension operates more.... Independently..... When you remove that connection. Sure it makes the Raptor a little more squirrely on the street, but for me it's a welcomed trade off for the added smoothness you get when hitting a rut sideways at high speed in the dirt.

I find when offroading at high speed in "fun mode" (2 wheel drive, offroad mode ON, e-locker engaged, traction control totally [blinking] off) that I also like to shift gears manually. I know offroad mode is designed to hold gear longer, but for me sometimes it's not long enough. In the terrain I romp, there are a ton of transitions from hard-packed sand to the super soft stuff. Nothing sucks more than having your truck upshift when you're smack-dab in the middle of a soft corner, you just get a bogging sensation and slow way down. I make it a point to note the difference in hard/soft terrain when I pre-run my first "lap" at slower speeds. Knowing those differences when you're really mashing the go pedal later will give you an instinctive sense of what gear to be in, and will ultimately make you a faster driver. Preparation is important.... It not only makes you a safer driver, but truly knowing your "track" allows you to dominate your terrain at higher speed with less white-knuckle-anxiety and more of a ****-yeah-smile.

Pre-running terrain is not just for pro desert racers..... It's for anyone who wants to be smart when they hit the dez at high speed. Knowing your terrain can save you a lot of money, protect your truck, and most importantly, the safety of you and your co-pilots.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ What he said. Having the right equipment counts too. I would be happier with a harness in the truck and am going to try and go to the floor with one. It will hold me in the seat better than the crappy 3pt stock system. I would also suggest a neck restraint system if you plan on catching air or are in the process of doing something stupid (like I am). Even a neck collar and helmet would be better than nothing. I plan on wearing my HANS restraint system when I hit Terlingua up next week. I just hope that my Method beadlockers are in by then. There isn't much point in having 10k in mods to your truck and 0.00 into safety equipment.

I will have video of Terlingua!

Crosstx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JP is right, the better you know your weapon, the better armed you'll be. I find when offroading at high speed it's important to scout your terrain before you really hit it hard. Pre-run your terrain at a slower speed to become aware of your surroundings. Keep in mind that just because you know an area from past experience that you still ought to scout it for new obstacles. Inclimate weather can make major changes to an area, so if there has been heavy rain since your last outing at that locale, then you'd be wise to note changes before hitting it hard. The last thing you wanna do is find that newly-formed giant rut at 80 miles an hour.... That often leads to an expensive aftermath. Pre-run the area at half speed, know the locations of obstacles you wanna avoid, then go back and put the pedal to the metal on lap 2... A driver who knows his terrain is much better prepared to own that shit when hitting it hard.

I know it's a debatable move, but i've also found that since I removed my front swaybar my truck it performs so much better at high speed off road. The independent front suspension operates more.... Independently..... When you remove that connection. Sure it makes the Raptor a little more squirrely on the street, but for me it's a welcomed trade off for the added smoothness you get when hitting a rut sideways at high speed in the dirt.

I find when offroading at high speed in "fun mode" (2 wheel drive, offroad mode ON, e-locker engaged, traction control totally [blinking] off) that I also like to shift gears manually. I know offroad mode is designed to hold gear longer, but for me sometimes it's not long enough. In the terrain I romp, there are a ton of transitions from hard-packed sand to the super soft stuff. Nothing sucks more than having your truck upshift when you're smack-dab in the middle of a soft corner, you just get a bogging sensation and slow way down. I make it a point to note the difference in hard/soft terrain when I pre-run my first "lap" at slower speeds. Knowing those differences when you're really mashing the go pedal later will give you an instinctive sense of what gear to be in, and will ultimately make you a faster driver. Preparation is important.... It not only makes you a safer driver, but truly knowing your "track" allows you to dominate your terrain at higher speed with less white-knuckle-anxiety and more of a ****-yeah-smile.Pre-running terrain is not just for pro desert racers..... It's for anyone who wants to be smart when they hit the dez at high speed. Knowing your terrain can save you a lot of money, protect your truck, and most importantly, the safety of you and your co-pilots.

That is soo true dude
I do the same thing and love manual shifting da beast haha

OP
OP
JP7

JP7

Likes Canadian Mudbaths
Reaction score
Yeah - all these posts have very valuable information for those that want to try and play yet haven't many hours yet on rugged terrain.
Bo's removal of the sway bar will allow a lot more control over squirrelly shit - but does affect the street drive. I haven't dumped mine yet as the types of wheeling I normally get into - increased stability of the front end is more beneficial. But I'm bringing the tools to rip it out this week on my tour down to Reno.
SPRSNK is right about the safety equip - no good offroading if you can't stay in your seat or get whiplash on the first bump.
Bo and Cross are also correct in the manual shifting dept. Us that have the pre-2011 can't do it with the button, but a little man-handling the stick works great to keep in the power band. I'll be damned if I let electronics decide my shift pattern when I'm playing.

And scouting the terrain is paramount with attempting any sort of high speed runs. It aint like trail running where you're averaging 5-10mph navigating obstacles - on a high speed run you have to have a good memory or co-pilot to give yourself room to ride. Otherwise you could have a rude awakening involving pain and expensive parts.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of good points made, can't agree more about pre running the area before gettin after it. I also lower my tires to 27 psi to help cushion the jolts.

RallyBud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good stuff here folks. I am going to read up tons before I get my Raptor and "hopefully" not plant it in a ditch or cactus because some of the tips I learn here.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
I would be happier with a harness in the truck and am going to try and go to the floor with one.
I will have video of Terlingua!
Are you thinking about putting 5 points in your Raptor?
Where would you mount your shoulder harnesses?

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you thinking about putting 5 points in your Raptor?
Where would you mount your shoulder harnesses?

I am still debating on that. I want to fab up a hoop but do not have the time right now. I am going try the old trick of using the bolts that hold the seat down. I have an extra long set of belts that I did this trick to in my GT500 for my very first race and I think they may just fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts