Offroad suspension settings - Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have done some testing of my gen 3 in offroad conditions, in Baja mode. Conditions included lots of direction changes, lots of bumps and elevation changes, and plenty of embedded rocks in the surface and on top of it. I locked the diff, and put traction in the level 1 disable setting. I also only used 4H. I tried suspension in both Baja and Sport settings, and found these to be pretty similar TBH. I've read here that some described Baja as stiffer, while others say Sport is stiffer. Does anyone have any further comments or advice on how to run the truck, suspension wise? Any clarity on which is actually stiffer would also be appreciated!!

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Gen 2 (2019), but I thought the different mode settings just changed transmission and traction (4x4) settings. Do the different mode settings also change how the shocks behave? If so, is that something specific to Gen 3's, or does it also do it on Gen 2's 2019 and later?

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Gen 2 (2019), but I thought the different mode settings just changed transmission and traction (4x4) settings. Do the different mode settings also change how the shocks behave? If so, is that something specific to Gen 3's, or does it also do it on Gen 2's 2019 and later?
Gen 2 (19-20) modes change shocks too
Gen 3 the shocks can be changed independently like the steering feel like on the gen 2s.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 2 (19-20) modes change shocks too
Gen 3 the shocks can be changed independently like the steering feel like on the gen 2s.
Now I am crying!!!! I really wish I could change the shocks independently on my Gen 2. If I could, I would soften them up a little for normal street use (I have Geiser springs up front and Deaver +3 in the rear). The ride isn't bad, but a little softer for most occasions would be nice. That said, is there a mode that I can use on my Gen 2 that would soften things up and is safe to use for daily street driving? I am also wondering if this is something that can be adjusted using FORScan?

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I am crying!!!! I really wish I could change the shocks independently on my Gen 2. If I could, I would soften them up a little for normal street use (I have Geiser springs up front and Deaver +3 in the rear). The ride isn't bad, but a little softer for most occasions would be nice. That said, is there a mode that I can use on my Gen 2 that would soften things up and is safe to use for daily street driving? I am also wondering if this is something that can be adjusted using FORScan?
You lucked out, the 19-20s ride stiffer, but no, the 19 and up trucks have the electronic shocks that can be changed on the fly per say. I thought the same as you and when i got my 20 coming from my 18 i was like, the hell is wrong with my shocks?

As for your shocks not entirely sure, but you could get them revalved on the next service to make them a little softer, but again not sure on that.

Idaho Savage

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sport should be stiffer, Baja softer. I roll sport on mountain passes (curvy) and Baja on ****** BLM roads. In my truck, both are noticable improvement over normal for their respective environments.

I definitely use the suspension setting the most. Aside from tow/haul, I rarely use the drive mode...just suspension. It's great.

OP
OP
R

Ryan C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drive mode adjusts throttle response, shifting, braking and other vehicle dynamics. For me offroad, Baja mode is super important because of how it turns down ABS. Normal ABS settings (e.g. when in sport) are downright scary in the dirt. This is particularly the case in washboard bumps.

I'll keep testing and report back on the suspension settings within Baja mode. Love to hear your feedback all. keep it coming.

Johnny@Hammerbuilt

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Look into the SDI eclick for gen 2