Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

GEN 2 Off-roading your Gen 2: Driving Modes, Handling Characteristics, and more

Discussion in 'Ford F-150 Raptor General Discussions [GEN 2]' started by rtmozingo, Nov 15, 2018.

1. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

the forged wheels are beadlock --capable--. the rings on there now are beauty rings, you need to purchase actual bead lock rings and have them and the tires mounted to facilitate off road tire pressure that low. FWIW, I’ve run 20-22 with no problem in sand. Others can comment on how far you can go on the stock rims. There are some aftermarket rims that have a better bead grip, and don’t require rings. not as effective as bead locks, but better than normal.

MDJAK likes this.
  2. rtmozingo

rtmozingo FRF Addict

No limit on 4H. Well, speed limiter I guess.

As for stock beadlock - well, it isn't a beadlock, it is "beadlock capable". IE it is functionally the same as my non-beadlock wheel. I've heard more than a few people debead in the 20psi range...but personally, I ran 18psi going sideways a lot and didn't rip a bead, even had a flat for 5 miles and still didn't rip it off. You increase the risk of debeading the lower psi you go, and how aggressive you are driving also factors in. 8 psi in sand with granny driving is probably fine, but slipping and sliding may rip the bead at 15 psi in the same conditions.

MDJAK likes this.
  3. misuracaf10

misuracaf10 Full Access Member

Truck can go any speed with 4H. Baja mode is technically 4H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Steve Arm

Steve Arm Member

Thanks for the explaining!

5. hedonist222

hedonist222 Full Access Member

Thread is a great conversation starter.

For any technical driving, I have to be in manual.

Cannot tolerate unanticipated gear shifts.
    That's why I bought, among other reasons, a Yamaha YXZ 1000r over the rzr.

6. MDJAK

MDJAK Full Access Member

And why then, as I’ve read, and I know you can’t believe everything you read, are true beadlocks illegal on road?

7. zombiekiller

zombiekiller EXO Crewmember

ford sells the rings that convert the wheels into legitimate beadlocks as "offroad use only" .

Going to the end of that " are beadlocks legal on-road" conversation is a black hole.

Legal or not, having to retorque all of those bolts, every 500 miles , is a point of maintenance that I have ZERO appetite for.

There are a few companies that make DOT approved beadlocks. None make them in a raptor-compatible bolt pattern, offset and hub bore. The DOT beadlock designs look a lot more like an RC car beadlock, as opposed to a traditional racing beadlock and they are HEAVY.

MDJAK and rtmozingo like this.
  8. smurfslayer

smurfslayer Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77

@MDJAK
    I’ve read conflicting info on whether bead lock wheels / tires are illegal. I know there is a state that does single them out.

http://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm

Truck Beadlock Wheels - What They Are and Why You ...tundraheadquarters.com › truck-beadlock-wheels-why-and-what

There are some beadlock wheels that are not DOT certified. Are they safe? that depends on how well you install them and maintain them from what I see.

the “illegal” comment seems to come from the number of the wheels that aren’t DOT certified, which can be a thing. Each state has a set of comically hard to understand laws relating to vehicles and some specifically aimed at certain types. DOT certification is most prominently applied to motorcycle riders with the obligatory ‘cover the head barely’ helmet that doesn’t provide any sort of impact protection at all, and riders who buy DOT stickers to affix to them. A lot of states have generic laws allowing for the enforcement of overarching safety laws that encompass non DOT equipment.

Technically, if suspected of non DOT equipment, you can have the vehicle towed and impounded, the only real deterrent is that speeding tickets are more ‘sexy’ to most PD management than impounding a 4x4 with suspected non DOT wheels.

MDJAK likes this.
  9. Lou Maldonado

Lou Maldonado Member

Most quality beadlock wheel companies do not require constant re-torquing of the bolts. Actually, they recommend to NOT touch them after proper torque installation. I personally off road with a lot of Raptors and Dodge diesel trucks with beadlocks and none have ever had a problem with bolts loosening or being questioned by the law. That said, I personally don’t run beadlocks because I don’t want to deal with removing/installing my own big ass tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. hedonist222

hedonist222 Full Access Member

Curious to learn how not needing to re-torque is a function of good design.