GEN 2 Off-roading your Gen 2: Driving Modes, Handling Characteristics, and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
for even more fun, try some left foot braking.

Once you get comfortable with that, you'll be trail braking your butt off and taking every turn properly ( completely sideways and throttle steering out of every turn)

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
You are the second person whose input I value who has recommended those. If I weren't so dead set on my coopers I might actually have sprung for them this time. If I'm not pleased with this set, the X3s will be on my short list for next time.

I can imagine. I am really pleased with the stock shocks, but I've found their limits. Most annoying is the front end pogo effect, but you can only ask so much out of internal bypasses. Eventually I'll get a secondary external up front and a bigger external in the back, but that won't be until after the truck is paid off.

Why did you go with Kings? I've ridden in Fox and Icon trucks, but I'm always curious as to why people opted for the brand they did. Icon seems to make quality stuff, but ends up only being compatible with their own stuff (so I'm told).

sorry that I missed this. I went with kings because racecar. In a pinch, I could pull one of my kings ( front or rear) and swap it onto a 6100 truck.

You'll find that socal suspension companies all tend to lean king ( think LA and south). I'm no shock expert, but I wanted full-blown race truck quality shocks and coilovers, so I went with King. It is also nice to be able to call one of the owners of the company if there is an issue or I need a favor. Good luck talking to the CEO of the investment company that owns Fox.

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just spent a couple days in an area called the "North Maine Woods" and have a few comments about the Gen2 and handling.

First a disclaimer:
It is owned by logging companies and the public pays to play. No motorcycles or ATVs allowed.
Given that the main roads are dominated by the occasional logging truck, and they do not yield, there is very little traffic.
Said logging trucks can show up at any time and usually at the worst possible moment, in a blind turn.
Said logging trucks operate from 5am thru 7pm mostly.

Bombing down straight roads a ludicrous speed was great fun, feared for the suspension a few times but, did no damage.
After dusk driving on twisties was the best. With the fear of logging trucks allayed.
Setup 4A, 25psi, TC on, 300lbs in the bed. (topper and gear)

Handling:
In a word awesome.
Come into a corner hot, dab the brakes, ass comes around a bit, on the gas, straightens out, power through turn.
Drift a bit but, as long as you don't break the laws of physics you stay on the road.
They programmed this truck at the factory like a dream.
Punch it in a corner and you get some drift, not a spin out.
Nearly idiot proof, we need better idiots! (humor)

I know I'm a wimp driving with TC on but, I am an idiot. (period)
Not a pro.
The road was narrow, the truck is 3 tons of mass, and accidents are expensive.

No moose were harmed, some were scared.

sounds like you are already getting the hang of it. Hot entry with a touch on brakes is my favorite way to start a corner, start left-foot braking all the time and it gets even better.

Like I said in my initial post, you should retain the T/C as much as possible. It can save you - has saved me more than once. In a situation like that I'd have most likely have left default T/C on myself.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
question about using 4HI. When offroading on hard dirt or gravel roads 4A is the best setting for both control and drivetrain? I have used 4HI on these types of roads and am now considering just using 4a, except i cannot get the right suspension feel i want with the 19... or is the best setting now 4A combined with sport mode for hard gravel/ hard dirt roads with possibility of ruts holes and bumps?

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
question about using 4HI. When offroading on hard dirt or gravel roads 4A is the best setting for both control and drivetrain? I have used 4HI on these types of roads and am now considering just using 4a, except i cannot get the right suspension feel i want with the 19... or is the best setting now 4A combined with sport mode for hard gravel/ hard dirt roads with possibility of ruts holes and bumps?

4A will be a bit reactionary, but is the safer option if you think you'll be hitting hard pack. Typically if I'm flying down unmaintained roads with a mix of surfaces, I'll do sport mode 4A. If you know none of it is hard pack (ie dirt, gravel only, no concrete) you'd probably be a bit better off with baja mode (which does not allow 4A IIRC).

4A is always the safe bet, but the clutch packs can overheat over time (the truck seems to switch over to 4H if this happens). Some people like the slight rear-bias of the mode - I don't find it is necessary, and prefer the crisp response of 4H if I'm not worried about the drive train.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I did a run in the gravel at Raptor Assault in 4a / Sport and it worked pretty well, but for my money - Mud/Sand. 4a is not a subaru like all time system, it’s on demand and if you overdo it the truck will get mad at you and put you in 4h. The difference between sport and M+S is that sport is a road oriented mode, M+S is an off road oriented setting.

OP
OP
rtmozingo

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did a run in the gravel at Raptor Assault in 4a / Sport and it worked pretty well, but for my money - Mud/Sand. 4a is not a subaru like all time system, it’s on demand and if you overdo it the truck will get mad at you and put you in 4h. The difference between sport and M+S is that sport is a road oriented mode, M+S is an off road oriented setting.

M+S is a good suggestion.

Thanks for the great write up and info @rtmozingo!!

Thanks!

The more I read/hear about left foot braking the more I need to learn how to....

It is pretty helpful. I prefer to swing the truck around by coming in hot, but even then LFB helps, and it instances where you start the corner slow, it really does help the process along.

Team O'Neil has more than a few good videos on the subject, a few which I'll link:

At Rally Ready Driving School in Dale, Texas, they will actually lock your steering wheel at one point and make you navigate a circle using only the pedals.

2018Shelby

Reaction score
Thanks for your excellent and informative post. I just purchased my fourth Raptor...this one is a Shelby Baja Raptor and its amazing! My wife has my 2018 Raptor, her third. We are selling her 2014 with 81,000 miles. I have driven Hummer H1 off road, Chevy’s and Dodges the Raptor is the best of all of them. The H1 is a totally different animal and amazing off road vehicle...but an expensive and difficult daily driver.