Off-roading tires and rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reptonet

Reaction score
Can anyone here recommend an affordable off-roading wheel and tire package that I can get for my 2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew? I want to make my truck off-road worthy so I am slowly adding modifications. Next on my list is to install a set of fender flares.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wheels are subjective to personal taste.
Stick to a 17 or 18" if you plan on offroading a lot.

As for tires, it's also an area where you have to compromise in one spot to excel in another. Most A/T's are good on the road and have all around decent offroad abilites but can get stuck in the mud.

Higher tire weights can also thow your MPG down and hurt braking and acceleration. Personally, I try to avoid E rated tires and stick to D. But plenty run E rated tires like the BFG KM3, Toyo M/T and Nitto Ridge grapplers and love them.

Method wheels are usually fairly cheap price wise, quite a bit of people run them, most without issues. Fuel, raceline and others are around the same price.

I've used Method and raceline in the past. I liked raceline in that their offsets were a + instead of a 0 and they had some wheels that were hubcentric and not lug centric fwiw

I would stick to "proven" names for tires. Goodyear, Toyo, Nitto, Cooper etc...
Spend more if need be on quality tires.

I'm currently running Cooper S/T Maxx tires which are a hybrid A/T and M/T.
Not as aggressive as the STT Pros in the mud, but have better road manners. Found them for under 200 each for a black friday sale, and they were built a year ago.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@John813 How do you like the Cooper ST Maxx off road ?

So far I like them a lot. Put around 80 miles offroad so far on them from mud, clay, sugar sand and packed.

Probably could of done the run all in 2WD as they hooked well uphill in sugar sand but I slowed down to a stop and had to go to 4wd high to continue.
Grooves clean well from mud and clay and grips well in soft sand. Can dig pretty well for better or worse.

Same path in the past with my first truck with K02 needed 4wd high for same areas even with some momentum.

The Pros were a bit better in the mud/sand but the trade off for me was a rougher on road drive.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@John813 Thanks, appreciate the feedback. They sound like pretty good tires

Only got 3k miles on them so far, so time will tell when they get some wear on them.
But I do like they are relatively light at 67lb per and give me offroad traction and smooth DD abilities.

Think they have preset stud locations too, if someone needs them for the snow.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Lots of details missing:

Budget?

What mods are on the truck?

What type of terrain do you want to run on? How do you expect people to recommend a tire type when they don't have any idea where your running. Is snow or ice a consideration? If your going to be running a lot of soft sand or playing on rocks you will want beadlocks. If your running somewhere with a lot of sharp stones you will want a heavier sidewall. If your going to be running high speed a lot you don't want a Q speed tire. It's asinine to make recommendations for tires with no usage description. What works well in southern Florida probably wont work great in Alaska.

How do you intend to use the truck? if your towing a lot you wont want an ultra plush tire, do you constantly haul stuff in the bed?

Is noise a consideration?

What is on the truck now? What don't you like about it?

Do you have spare tire carriers or are you limited to the undercarriage mount?

You're asking us to go hunting with a blindfold on.

Last edited:

ktmcolorado

Reaction score
Researched wheels and tires for months with main goals of:
-adding offset without spacers to widen the stance. I just like the wider stance look much better.
-Low noise on pavement while maximizing off road capability. I off road maybe only once a month but it tends to be deep in the high country where aid is not readily available.
-Lastly, a good, aggressive look.

I ended up going with Method 17" wheels and Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35".

Could not be happier. I run one particular very gnarly off road track every year to get to my elk hunting campsite, and have been since 1995 with Jeeps, a Hummer, and now the Raptor. This year after camping for a week we got an unexpected snow storm the day before breaking camp and I was honestly worried about the trail as this wet mountain snow in November is the worst of all worlds and some of the hills we had to climb were in open meadow with no trees or rocks for winch anchor points. My son and I were both prepared for a very long day but that thing with theses tires climbed out of there like it was dry. My son and I were both laughing out loud and high-fiving we were so impressed! The next eight miles of BDL trail was the same experience - this thing just ate it up. 20190804_183231_HDR.jpg