Off-road Mode.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With regards to T/H mode I think it's actually a pretty intelligent system. When I've got a real load on (enclosed trailer) it will absolutely down shift after a brake tap going down hill. With T/H and no load it does not do this. How it knows I'm not sure but I use the feature all the time when hauling my trailer to save the brakes and not having to fool around with the +/- buttons.

The computer knows when you are towing a load when you have the trailer plugged in. It is only then the downshifting will occur when tapping the brakes.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Learned something else........Thanks BIRDMAN!!!

Good info for the Texas Raptor Run coming up.

It does this in T/H mode too I think. At least that was my experience when towing the other day.

The computer knows when you are towing a load when you have the trailer plugged in. It is only then the downshifting will occur when tapping the brakes.

in T/H you mean? In ORM tapping your brakes in a downhill coast will downshift. I've tried it numerous times.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
It will downshift in TH without a trailer by tapping the brakes too. I use it all the time in Colorado.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
in T/H you mean? In ORM tapping your brakes in a downhill coast will downshift. I've tried it numerous times.

Yes, in T/H mode. I've tried without towing, and I didn't think it worked. I'll test it tonight. Maybe it has to do with the grade of the hill?

Joe

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its like the hill assist... You have to be on a 3 degree grade for it to activate..

And i just tried tow/haul ass mode.. And it will downshift when you tap the brakes on a 3 degree hill or greater.. :)

-Greg

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just tried it too. On the flat it would not down shift. Could only get it to down shift when on a 4 degree hill.

Good stuff to learn.

Joe