Off-Road GPS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustinK

Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a good and not too expensive off-road GPS? I am looking to join the next Raptor run in my region and the GPS unit is a requirement to participate. Thanks in advance!

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a handheld Garmin unit that I use for hunting a lot.

I also use the All Trails app on my phone and Gaia app.

The hand held Garmin is small, but using a Naviks system I mirror my phone to my screen and it works perfectly

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

tmanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me more about the naviks system? Are there installation instructions online?

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in the same boat. Looking to get more into AZRR runs too. Not real familiar with gps in general when it comes to off roading. My daughter's boyfriend is a rally racer and uses the GAIA gps program. I downloaded it to an 8" LG tablet with GPS capabilities and it seems like the real deal. About 20% of the price of setting up a Lowrance unit. I picked up a Ram Mount for it and it sits nicely on the dash. Highly recommended by hikers and the overland crowd. Worth Checking it out.

tmanker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I get more involved in the offroad events, I will look at the Lowrance unit or go the iPad with leadnav or gaia. I already have the iPad so that saves most of the cost.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you tell me more about the naviks system? Are there installation instructions online?
You can email them and they will send instructions. I like it. I use a Quad lock mount, that attaches to a deal that fits in my cup holder. Phone hangs out and I mirror my phone on the screen. Works great, even better when I have a comms guy/navigator

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

truckarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use your smartphone since there are lots of good navigation apps like Gaia GPS and Backcountry Navigator Pro.

dave_g

Reaction score
I just got the Gaia gps for my Iphone- But it also works on my ipad. What is VERY important is that you can download maps of the area you are going. 1 this saves data- 2 you do not need cell service. In NJ i find they have many of the forest fire roads listed. Now I'm just going to add an Ipad mount in the truck

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I just got the Gaia gps for my Iphone- But it also works on my ipad. What is VERY important is that you can download maps of the area you are going. 1 this saves data- 2 you do not need cell service. In NJ i find they have many of the forest fire roads listed. Now I'm just going to add an Ipad mount in the truck

if you are using a non-cell modem iPad, you're going to want to pick up an xgps160.

non-cell pads only update once a second. If you're using the iPad for obstacle call-outs via notes, that 1-second refresh isn't good enough if you're moving at a football field per second kind of pace.