Off-road Cleaning and Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oddworld

Reaction score
Took the Gen3 37 off-roading in a desert located in SW Texas - probably a few hundred miles over 4 days. Terrain was mostly dusty, with a mix of sand and loose rock. Very dry terrain.

I hauled ass everywhere in “Baja mode”. 65-75 mph on washboard; caught a bit of air a few times; blasted over everything that was below the bumper. I beat the crap out of the suspension and shocks, and they held up fine.

Question: apart from a basic car wash, anything I need to do from a maintenance perspective? Shocks need lubricating (or anything else out of the ordinary)?

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lots of quarters at the self wash.. get all up under there, but as long as you stay out of the mud, its not too bad.. might want to bring a creeper to lay down under the running board.

OP
OP
oddworld

oddworld

Reaction score
Basic clean and check of fluids.

I see that you are new here. Welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius with 37s and baja mode.
Sir, I can emphatically say that this is not a prius. I asked my wife to confirm balls onboard. She found em.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As crazy as it sounds, wipe the dust off of your seatbelts. We live in the dust in Terlingua and the seat belts slow way down if they don’t get wiped on a regular basis.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check air filter and replace if too dirty. These things suck a lot in. I’ve had to replace the thing after a single day of messing around.
Check your air filter. He's right, these trucks suck in a ton of crap when off road. If it was just you, it may be ok. But if you were following anyone and sucking in their dust, you should change your air filter. I always change mine after Raptor group runs before even driving home. These are typically 2 day events and I'm amazed at how dirty they are. Take it out and bang it on the ground to check. See picture. Keep a spare behind your seat if you off road a lot. I've seen them get so dirty the truck goes into limp mode.

815E54E7-B15E-46AC-A4DF-B0971FB0A63D.jpeg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your air filter. He's right, these trucks suck in a ton of crap when off road. If it was just you, it may be ok. But if you were following anyone and sucking in their dust, you should change your air filter. I always change mine after Raptor group runs before even driving home. These are typically 2 day events and I'm amazed at how dirty they are. Take it out and bang it on the ground to check. See picture. Keep a spare behind your seat if you off road a lot. I've seen them get so dirty the truck goes into limp mode.

View attachment 397903
hey, i have done that a few timestmp_13773-14933872909318.jpg