OEM (The Real Deal) Ambient Lighting discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will be starting this real soon, it's been on the back burner far to long(8yrs). I was fortunate the other day and saw a for sale thread on a f150 forum for most of the parts for this came from following this thread but was unsuccessful at making it work in his truck and decided to sell everything. So for about one third the cost I could not pass on it. Big thank you @Svtweb for doing all the leg work and posting as it went along, made for an interesting read. This is the type of project that I enjoy the most so looking forward to the ride.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will be starting this real soon, it's been on the back burner far to long(8yrs). I was fortunate the other day and saw a for sale thread on a f150 forum for most of the parts for this came from following this thread but was unsuccessful at making it work in his truck and decided to sell everything. So for about one third the cost I could not pass on it. Big thank you @Svtweb for doing all the leg work and posting as it went along, made for an interesting read. This is the type of project that I enjoy the most so looking forward to the ride.

Most of the work isn't really the installation of the parts, but more just figuring out what you actually need to make it work. The only advantage I had was the fact I had my 13 Limited which came with everything stock, so I was able to at least compare between the two trucks the harnesses and parts and basically transplant everything. I was also swapping all the interior over from the Limited as well, so I already had it all torn apart anyways.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of the work isn't really the installation of the parts, but more just figuring out what you actually need to make it work. The only advantage I had was the fact I had my 13 Limited which came with everything stock, so I was able to at least compare between the two trucks the harnesses and parts and basically transplant everything. I was also swapping all the interior over from the Limited as well, so I already had it all torn apart anyways.
I have the 2014 ford wiring diagrams book and have somewhat of an idea of what is involved even though I have never taken the center stack apart or removed the console. Forscan is something I'll need to get and learn to use and watch more youtube video's on how to take things apart. Still foggy on the cup holder lighted ring install. I have the basic knowledge of what needs to be done and the devil is in the details. Murphy's Law is ever present also.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the 2014 ford wiring diagrams book and have somewhat of an idea of what is involved even though I have never taken the center stack apart or removed the console. Forscan is something I'll need to get and learn to use and watch more youtube video's on how to take things apart. Still foggy on the cup holder lighted ring install. I have the basic knowledge of what needs to be done and the devil is in the details. Murphy's Law is ever present also.

Some of those things I had easier since I was able to simply swap parts over instead of having to fit individual things. I basically swapped the entire floor console and panels since it was all coming from my 13 Limited. The only thing I had to manually wire was the harness from the HVAC control module to the floor connector since it's built into the factory Limited body harness.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dont forget i have videos posted on how to take it apart

MILRTME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have all the parts installed just need to order the apim to get it all to work… I need to read back through the thread because I also put it off.

Lol bought most the parts and installed them then stopped ….?

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually have all the parts installed just need to order the apim to get it all to work… I need to read back through the thread because I also put it off.

Lol bought most the parts and installed them then stopped ….?
Be a good time to wrap it up. What do you lack, the programing?

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Some of those things I had easier since I was able to simply swap parts over instead of having to fit individual things. I basically swapped the entire floor console and panels since it was all coming from my 13 Limited. The only thing I had to manually wire was the harness from the HVAC control module to the floor connector since it's built into the factory Limited body harness.
@Cody Templeton I need to build the harness from the HVAC to the floor. I have a question about pin 8 shows to be ground-cowl side/pillar A left, does this need to be grounded or did you do nothing with it? Did the factory connector C228C to the EATC have 4 or 5 Wires?

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Cody Templeton I need to build the harness from the HVAC to the floor. I have a question about pin 8 shows to be ground-cowl side/pillar A left, does this need to be grounded or did you do nothing with it? Did the factory connector C228C to the EATC have 4 or 5 Wires?

When I did that part I cut the pigtail from the dash harness off the Limited that went to the HVAC module, extended the pigtail harness so it would reach the floor connector, then de-pinned the wires from the connector and cut them off the harness on the Limited, and connected them to the extended harness. If I remember correctly it's 4 wires - 1 for red, 1 for blue, 1 for green, and ground.